Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » 3dsmax units setup
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3dsmax units setup [message #53341] Thu, 30 August 2012 00:04 UTC
avatar Jchalfant  is currently offline Jchalfant
Go to my shop
Howdy,

I just recently noticed that it seems to be a pretty big deal if you keep your units setup as 1unit = 1inch... this will cause a lot of errors when uploading to shapeways.

The correct scale settings inside 3dsmax should be 1unit = 1mm. This is under Customize > units setp > system units in 3ds. Real important 1unit = 1mm... or there's a big chance your model will fail the automated checks.

I say "recently noticed" because I have already printed two models at 1unit = 1inch... both uploaded and printed fine... but now if I export and upload at that setting the obj or stl will fail nine times out of ten. I was pulling my hair out for a week or so trying to figure out the problem, seems obvious now.

Note to shapewyas: It might be wise to mention 3dsmax unit setup settings in the shapeways tutorials for 3ds users.... I didn't anything about that when looking ( http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/3d_modeling_in_3d_studio_ max_for_shapeways)?

best
-John

www.jchalfant.com/web

Previous Topic:I think I Meshed this up.
Next Topic:RHINO user with stl / meshing questions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.