Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » material suggestions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
material suggestions [message #53260] Tue, 28 August 2012 12:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar wolfabio  is currently offline wolfabio
Go to my shop
hi all,
I'm looking for a material gluable with cyanoacrylate adhesives like Loctite Super Glue, paintable with acrylic paints and with a medium detail level.

Have you some suggestion?

the application is 28 mm miniatures

thank's
Re: material suggestions [message #53266 is a reply to message #53260 ] Tue, 28 August 2012 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Bsically all the plastic materials should fit your basic requirements. It depends on what you call "Medium detail" Smile

WSF (or Black SF) is cheapest. You should be able to get minis at prices comparable to comemrcial 28mm figures. The surface is rather rough and you will have to prime it heavily because it absorbs paint like kitchen paper would.

Detail (White, Black, transparent) is more expensive, but has better detail, and is more easily painted.

FUD is most expensive, but has the best detail.

Check out the forums for the drawbacks and advantages of the materials and how to treat them. Also a number of shops have 28mm miniatures, often with photos of finished minis. Check them out. Prices can be comparable to 28mm from commercial manufacturers using metal.

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: material suggestions [message #53521 is a reply to message #53266 ] Sun, 02 September 2012 23:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hicubehobbies  is currently offline hicubehobbies
Go to my shop
What material do you recommend for use in small gears, say 2 mm thick by about 1.5 cm across? This is for use in a model steam lcomotive to replace the manufacturer gear that cracked.
Re: material suggestions [message #53522 is a reply to message #53521 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith is currently online stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Are the gears you are replacing metal? If so, none of the Shapeways materials are likely to produce good results. Either they don't have the precision to replace metal gears, or they don't have the strength to handle the torque.

I'm anxiously awaiting the day we CAN print gears, but as of this time, the odds aren't good.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: material suggestions [message #53525 is a reply to message #53522 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 01:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hicubehobbies  is currently offline hicubehobbies
Go to my shop
No they are plastic now, but split (it was a common thing with this production run)

I'm just worried about what will have the precision to be a good replacement. I'm leaning at White detail or FUD.
Re: material suggestions [message #53526 is a reply to message #53525 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 06:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Both White Detail and FUD are acrylic based so may not have the durability needed. Though out of the two, FUD has the best precision.

WSF might work at the size you need, but it will be pot luck as to the precision depending upon the print orientation.

Paul

Re: material suggestions [message #53530 is a reply to message #53526 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 10:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Mon, 03 September 2012 06:24

WSF might work at the size you need, but it will be pot luck as to the precision depending upon the print orientation.

You could design a sprue with several gear wheels oriented in different directions, then at least one should be in the proper orientation. At that sice, it should be affordable.

Greetings
Dragoman

Previous Topic:Making "White Strong & Flexible" parts watertight
Next Topic:Levels of detail. Resolution

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.