material suggestions

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by wolfabio, Aug 28, 2012.

1. wolfabio
    wolfabio Member
    hi all,
    I'm looking for a material gluable with cyanoacrylate adhesives like Loctite Super Glue, paintable with acrylic paints and with a medium detail level.

Have you some suggestion?

the application is 28 mm miniatures

thank's

2. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Bsically all the plastic materials should fit your basic requirements. It depends on what you call "Medium detail" :)

WSF (or Black SF) is cheapest. You should be able to get minis at prices comparable to comemrcial 28mm figures. The surface is rather rough and you will have to prime it heavily because it absorbs paint like kitchen paper would.

Detail (White, Black, transparent) is more expensive, but has better detail, and is more easily painted.

FUD is most expensive, but has the best detail.

Check out the forums for the drawbacks and advantages of the materials and how to treat them. Also a number of shops have 28mm miniatures, often with photos of finished minis. Check them out. Prices can be comparable to 28mm from commercial manufacturers using metal.

Greetings
    Dragoman

3. hicubehobbies
    hicubehobbies Member
    What material do you recommend for use in small gears, say 2 mm thick by about 1.5 cm across? This is for use in a model steam lcomotive to replace the manufacturer gear that cracked.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Are the gears you are replacing metal? If so, none of the Shapeways materials are likely to produce good results. Either they don't have the precision to replace metal gears, or they don't have the strength to handle the torque.

I'm anxiously awaiting the day we CAN print gears, but as of this time, the odds aren't good.

5. hicubehobbies
    hicubehobbies Member
    No they are plastic now, but split (it was a common thing with this production run)

I'm just worried about what will have the precision to be a good replacement. I'm leaning at White detail or FUD.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Both White Detail and FUD are acrylic based so may not have the durability needed. Though out of the two, FUD has the best precision.

WSF might work at the size you need, but it will be pot luck as to the precision depending upon the print orientation.

Paul

[hr][hr]

7. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    You could design a sprue with several gear wheels oriented in different directions, then at least one should be in the proper orientation. At that sice, it should be affordable.

Greetings
    Dragoman