Home » Community » It arrived! » Escher Angels and Devils Earrings
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Escher Angels and Devils Earrings [message #53166] Sun, 26 August 2012 19:04 UTC
avatar WillLaPuerta  is currently offline WillLaPuerta
Go to my shop
They're based (as the title would suggest) on M. C. Escher's Angels and Devils tessellation. Recreating the tessellation was the easy part. Warping it into a sphere was an ordeal.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_567206_535155_1345468870.jpg

Technically these arrived a while ago but it took some time to get them ready.

First of all, I didn't want to make the loops too thin since I was printing them in Full Color Sandstone so they couldn't fasten the earring hooks to them before shipping. I even got an email asking if I really wanted them included. I, of course, said "yes" so that I could sort out a solution to the problem and they were mailed to me separately.

After they arrived I noticed a tiny, tiny chip was missing from one of the devils, so I decided the whole thing needed some protection and gave them a spray one clear coat so now they're shiny and chip resistant.

Finally I managed to get some bails to connect the hooks to the earrings that I thought fit them. Even then I couldn't get the darn things to bend completely closed and stay that way, so I closed the gaps with just a li~itle bit of super glue.

I'm quite happy with how they've turned out.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_567206_536434_1345468879.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 26 August 2012 23:06 UTC]

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook

Previous Topic:TDR cars
Next Topic:Sphere Ring

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.