Home » Support » 3D Printing » STL dimensions changed after upload?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #52960] Wed, 22 August 2012 01:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop
I created an STL model in 3DSmax, shelled it in meshlab, repaired it in netfabb, and uploaded it to Shapeways. The dimensions of the object appeared constant (about 5cm tall) throughout the process, but after the upload/verification by Shapeways, the dimensions changed considerably.

For reference, here are the actual dimensions reported by the various apps (all on the same STL file):

3DS Max : 4.33 x 1.47 x 5.01
netfabb : 4.33 x 1.47 x 5.03
shapeways: 4.40 x 1.47 x 4.57

The Meshlab measuring tool confirmed it's about 5 cm tall as well. Everyone but Shapeways seems to agree with that. What's going on here and, more importantly, how tall with my model actually be when printed?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/674004/3484650607e6b6b96d746d 867c644fe4
Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #52962 is a reply to message #52960 ] Wed, 22 August 2012 06:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
We can't see your model, you need to go into edit mode and select the 'Display to Public' option.

Just a few observations from your reported dimensions, regarding Units of Measurement;
Shapeways - upload options, meters, inches or millimeters
NetFabb - mm or inches

Is it possible that somewhere along the line, that metric to imperial or vice-versa conversions have been made or that the wrong units have be selected at upload?
This would not account for the differences in dimensions though, however if your model was uploaded as mm and it contains some very small shells, it is possible that those small shells would be removed.

It is also possible that Shapeways Mesh MEdic has 'repaired' your model and by doing so has changed the geometry - one way to check against this is to use NetFabb's Cloud Service which performs pretty much the same repair functions as Mesh Medic with the added bonus of merging mulitple shells into one closed mesh shell. Though again this doesn't seem like there should be an issue as you've used all the right tools for the job.

I can take a look at the model file for you if needs be to see if I can spot anything that could cause the dimensional issues.

Paul

Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #52984 is a reply to message #52962 ] Wed, 22 August 2012 15:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've set the Display to Public option now.

It's an STL file and so has no implicit units of measurement.
The unit was set to mm upon uploading to Shapeways.
The model is one shell (generated via Meshlab).

NetFabb's Cloud Service reports the size as 43.3 x 14.7 x 50.3 mm (matching everything except Shapeways).
It also confirms it is 1 shell, 0 holes, manifold and oriented. 877972 triangles.

The STL file will hopefully be attached.

I am going to upload it again and see what happens (as well as carefully noting any messages generated).

0 hr: art & technology ( 0-hr.com )
Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #52991 is a reply to message #52984 ] Wed, 22 August 2012 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Same result with rebuild and re-upload: Shapeways is reporting a height nearly half a cm shorter than the model actually is.

I don't know if the printed product will be squashed like this, or if it is just an error in the height displayed. I can't tell from just looking at the Shapeways render preview.

Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53013 is a reply to message #52991 ] Thu, 23 August 2012 06:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here are some screenshots showing the model measurements through the process. This is a newer version of the model, but the changes are minor (and the error still present):

http://0-hr.com/Temp/Shapeways_Error.jpg

It looks like everything else (including the total volume) is correct.

Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53021 is a reply to message #53013 ] Thu, 23 August 2012 09:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I can't find anything that would cause this issue. I'm getting the same as you for dimensions locally no matter what the filetype or software I check the model in, however after uploading to Shapeways, even with different filetypes, the results are the same as yours.

Very strange indeed Confused

Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53023 is a reply to message #53021 ] Thu, 23 August 2012 11:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Note that the volume is the same in all your examples, so your model is unlikely to come out distorted. I would guess that there is a difference in how the ShapeWays software calculates the hight over the pointy bit at the top of your model.

Bill Bedford
Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53056 is a reply to message #53023 ] Fri, 24 August 2012 03:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've uploaded JL06, which went directly from MAX through Netfabb and then to Shapeways. The model is shortened after the Shapeways upload AND the volume is reported as 4.64 cm³ instead of the 5.56 netfabb showed.

At least it costs less Smile

I've ordered a print so we'll see if it comes out the correct size or not. This project is a test of the feasibiliy of using Shapeways to produce my product line, so at least it will answer that question one way or the other.

Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53105 is a reply to message #53056 ] Sat, 25 August 2012 00:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I just ran an experiment, Tilted a basic cube at weird angles. Exported it as a stl, imported it into nettfabb. Everything was ok, till I exported it as a stl, imported into blender. Now the bounding box view was aligned along the xyz axis, which led to weirdness in its dimensions. My guess is that if the model is not properly aligned in its creation, the end result once loaded to shapeways is off kilter in its specs, as long as the volume matchs its good to go.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53293 is a reply to message #53105 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 08:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That's what I thought too Fredd, but the mesh is square to the local and global axis - even finding the outermost vertices and noting their position equates to the dimensions as stated by Ki_Ryn, I even went on a hunt to see if there were any stray vertices not connected to the mesh that could account for the difference is size, but the model is 'perfect'.

Paul

Re: STL dimensions changed after upload? [message #53917 is a reply to message #53056 ] Wed, 12 September 2012 03:45 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Ki_Ryn wrote on Fri, 24 August 2012 03:07

I've uploaded JL06, which went directly from MAX through Netfabb and then to Shapeways.
I've ordered a print so we'll see if it comes out the correct size or not. .

The model arrived today and it is the correct length so the error appears to just be in the value displayed by Shapeways. The actual model is not changed (which is good!). This will work for my needs, though I'll have to put a note in the product description about the actual dimensions differing from what is displayed.

Previous Topic:Which material is best for this?
Next Topic:big gears: what material to prevent buckling?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.