Home » Support » 3D Printing » Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52823] Sun, 19 August 2012 11:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar rune_kg  is currently offline rune_kg
Go to all my models
So, I've finally managed to model a CardHolder using Sketckup. The holes are for an elastic band. The walls at their thickest is 2mm and then narrows down to 0.2mm.

I'm questioning if the walls will be flexible enough to hold about 1cm of bus- and credit cards between them? Do you have any insights about this?

Thanks a lot!!!!!
Rune
Re: Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52876 is a reply to message #52823 ] Mon, 20 August 2012 13:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'd expect that you'd only be able to hold as many cards as is the thickness of your gap. Your design isn't set up to spring or apply any force onto the cards to hold them in. What you need is a clamping shape much like an alligator clip
index.php?t=getfile&id=19816&private=0
This will allow you to hold 1 card, up to approx. the width of the gap when full open.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52882 is a reply to message #52876 ] Mon, 20 August 2012 14:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Michael

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply!

I'm going to use a rubber band to hold the cards in. Are you saying the walls will be too inflexible to extend to about 1cm?

Cool idea with the clamp too! Smile
Re: Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52883 is a reply to message #52823 ] Mon, 20 August 2012 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ah, I read that part, but forgot about it... How thick is your gap? It would probably still be better to have a radius on the inside to help if flex. A sharp corner could be a sheer point.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52884 is a reply to message #52883 ] Mon, 20 August 2012 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The gap is 2.2mm

> It would probably still be better to have a radius on the inside to help if flex.

Trying to understand, am a bit new to talking about models. You mean to make the "connection" between the upper and lower part a halfcircle, thus making the connecting part thinner?

> A sharp corner could be a sheer point.

This I don't understand at all. Sorry! Embarassed
Re: Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52885 is a reply to message #52823 ] Mon, 20 August 2012 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
So you want it to flex from 2.2mm to 10mm... I think it would push your cards out. With this design I wouldn't go with more than 3 or 4mm of cards. It would be like an over filled binder. As far as the radius, I've pointed out the location in this image, and explained the sheer point a little. A radius will absorb the flex better.

index.php?t=getfile&id=19817&private=0

icon14.gif  Re: Just how flexible is "Flexible Plastic"? [message #52886 is a reply to message #52885 ] Mon, 20 August 2012 15:11 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Hi

Thanks for explaining!!! Got it now. Will make the gap larger and use a radius instead as you explained!

Thanks a lot!!!
Rune

Previous Topic:Little People!
Next Topic:Maximum bed size and quote possible?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.