Home » Community » General Discussion » Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52741] Fri, 17 August 2012 02:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar nbullard  is currently offline nbullard
Go to all my models
It's been awhile since i've had to model something to real world scaling, (working in Maya) and I am a little worried i'm not getting the post of the earrings to scale, or even it's even something that can be made with the 3D printing. Looking at 16 and 18 guages, and they will be done using stainless steal. If anyone can either pass along some scale notes, or if there is a good pre-made model for it, I would be most appreciative of it.
Re: Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52744 is a reply to message #52741 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 09:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways stainless steel is probably not suitable for earring posts as it contains bronze (copper alloy).

For scaling, measuring and integrity checks, NetFabb Basic (free) is a great tool.

Re: Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52765 is a reply to message #52741 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 15:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
It *may* be a little tough to print straight earring posts in stainless steel or silver as usually they are between 1mm-1.5mm thick and this is below the limit of metal printing. (Minimum free wire in stainless is 3mm http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel-design-guidelines)

If the design permits it, I would 3D print the rest of the earring and then solder on the posts afterwards.

I hope that helps!

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52778 is a reply to message #52765 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 18:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sterling Silver may also not be sutable as the alloy can contain copper or nickel (or both) Sad

Re: Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52782 is a reply to message #52765 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks. I will have to look into different post i could order, and try and adjust the model to having them added on after.
Re: Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52784 is a reply to message #52782 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 18:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Do they have to be posts?
If you send service an email with the these words in the subject line and nothing else.
Please add packing instructions to my model.
and the url of your model in the text body.
Shapeways will add earring hooks to your model for free, and send you an email comfiming.
Have a look at one of my earring models in my shop.
Here is a stl file of an earring hook for reference purposes only.
DO NOT UPLOAD IT.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Need help with getting correct earring Posts scale [message #52792 is a reply to message #52784 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 21:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
The design i was going for was something similar to this, http://www.madeyoulook.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/P105047x0.jpg

one version was going to be similar size for the ear lob, another i wanted smaller for a cartilage hoop.

Thank you very much for the reference model, it will definitely give me a better idea of how big my model is right now.

Previous Topic:I have a issue please help me
Next Topic:Help with shipped order issue

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.