Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Build orientation solution?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Build orientation solution? [message #52545] Mon, 13 August 2012 17:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar Briggsmodels  is currently offline Briggsmodels
Go to my shop
Is there a reason you can't make a basket to the maximum XYZ dimensions of the build envelope, then put your parts inside it, therefore ensuring build orientation? It seems like it might be a little more expensive, but you can get a lot of parts onto the build platform size...I'm trying it this week.
Re: Build orientation solution? [message #52587 is a reply to message #52545 ] Tue, 14 August 2012 19:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi!

You *could* do this, but it still won't guarantee your specified build orientation, as we might end up packing your model into the larger printer rather than the smaller ones (for which you have the x, y, z dimensions).

Additionally, it will likely slow down your model, as it will be held up in quality assurance (QA) process, to ensure that this is truly what you want to print. People have done this before, which is why I know!

It is also wasteful and , as you suspect, more expensive.

Lastly, because there is no way to specify print orientation at this time, we have excellent customer service instead. We see a LOT of models and we have a pretty good idea of which orientation will work best for printing.

Of course, if the quality of your model is not what you expect, you have 10 days to ask for a reprint or refund, just email service@shapeways.com

Best,
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Build orientation solution? [message #52951 is a reply to message #52587 ] Tue, 21 August 2012 18:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well I ordered my parts, we will see what I get. I don't understand why I would not be guaranteed the build orientation when I am specifying FUD, as the HD3000/HD3000plus machines are the only one that can print this material at this resolution, and the build envelope is limited to a certain size. If you have other information I am listening! Anyway, I am hoping for the best. I don't see why it's wasteful, I pretty much filled the X-Y build envelope with parts. I suppose the basket uses some material that wouldn't normally be used, but I made a basket design to use as little material as possible and still print and be somewhat durable and solid. Not perfect, but...

Re: Build orientation solution? [message #52955 is a reply to message #52587 ] Tue, 21 August 2012 18:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It seems to me that ultimately Shapeways orients the models so that they use as little XY space as possible and still fit within the Z envelope. If you make a basket or structure or post the highest dimension...and then make the X and Y the same, would you get your build orientation guaranteed? I tried this as well with my latest order, we will see what results soon!
Re: Build orientation solution? [message #54590 is a reply to message #52955 ] Fri, 28 September 2012 06:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar playonly  is currently offline playonly
Go to my shop
I'm hoping that they let us specify orientation sooner rather than later.

Previous Topic:shapeways order
Next Topic:Same STL model file, different 3D printed model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.