Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Are multiple ImageTextures supported?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52451] Fri, 10 August 2012 06:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar dkurland  is currently offline dkurland
Go to all my models
I'm attempting to create a simple cube with different ImageTextures on the top/bottom faces than on the sides. As a crude approximation, I've made a solid out of 3 boxes, each of which protudes slightly along one axis. If I apply one of my ImageTextures to one of these boxes and use simple colors for the other two boxes (as in the attached union.x3d file), the result appears correct in the Shapeways animated viewer. However, when I attempt to apply the desired ImageTextures (as in the attached union3.x3d file), the result is displayed in the Shaeways animated viewer with just one of the ImageTextures. I can't tell whether this is just a bug in the viewer, or whether the printed model (using full-color sandstone) will also be incorrect. Am I doing something wrong? Are multiple ImageTextures supported?

• Attachment: tree.zip
    (Size: 20.28KB, Downloaded 16 time(s))

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52456 is a reply to message #52451 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 08:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes multiple image textures are supported, however the maximum size for all images added together is 2048 x 2048 pixels - see http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting_to_vrml_and_x3d _for_color_printing for more information.

Your attached zip file contains just one file called 'tree' that has no file extension and when opening in Wordpad is not text as it should be Sad

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52457 is a reply to message #52456 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 11:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for your rapid response to my query.

Sorry if I screwed up the .zip file; I've remade it and attached it to this message. It should contain three attempts at creation of my cube:

union.x3d - 3 interlocking boxes (1 with TextureImage, 2 just colored)
union3.x3d - same, but with TextureImages for all 3 boxes
faces.x3d - 6 single-face IndexedFaceSets, with a TextureImage for each face

The images should be there, also:

treebark.png – 66 x 65 pixels
treebark2.png – 65 x 66 pixels
treetop.png – 65 x 65 pixels

I should not be encroaching on the 2048 x 2048 pixel limit.

• Attachment: tree.zip
    (Size: 30.20KB, Downloaded 12 time(s))

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52458 is a reply to message #52457 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 11:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Still no go with the zip file for me, it still contains one file - tree with no file extension, the file is bigger this time though Sad

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52472 is a reply to message #52458 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Huh. I have no idea what might be wrong with the .zip file. It was created by Windows 7's "Send to -> Compressed folder" feature, and opens fine in WinZip 15.0. I will attach the files individually here, but since Shapeways limits attachments to 3 files (Could that be the problem? The .zip contains 6 files?) I'll attach the three .x3d files here and send the three image files in a separate reply. (Eh? I thought the file limit was 3 per message, but this interface now says 1 file per message... so I'll send 'em one at a time. Look for the following files:
faces.x3d, union.x3d, union3.x3d, treebark.png, treebark2.png, treetop.png)

• Attachment: faces.x3d
    (Size: 2.64KB, Downloaded 10 time(s))

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52473 is a reply to message #52458 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 18:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
file 2 of 6

• Attachment: union.x3d
    (Size: 1.18KB, Downloaded 10 time(s))

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52474 is a reply to message #52458 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
file 4 of 6

• Attachment: treebark.png
    (Size: 8.95KB, Downloaded 13 time(s))

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52475 is a reply to message #52458 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 18:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
file 6 of 6

You should now have all the pieces.

• Attachment: treetop.png
    (Size: 9.88KB, Downloaded 12 time(s))

Re: Are multiple ImageTextures supported? [message #52476 is a reply to message #52475 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 18:39 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
faces.x3d, union.x3d, treebark.png, treetop.png are attached to your posts, union3.x3d & treebark2.png aren't Sad

Anyhow, opening union.x3d in wordpad still shows no definition for the 'box' and trying to open the file in MeshLab results in and 'Invalid xml file'

Previous Topic:everything is in triples
Next Topic:Model with textures issue

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.