Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Routing Jigs and Templates
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Routing Jigs and Templates [message #52202] Wed, 01 August 2012 13:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar mooed  is currently offline mooed
Go to all my models
Hi,

I have a small woodworking shop and use a large number of jigs and templates that I currently make by hand. To try and save a bit of time I'm looking into whether 3d printing is a viable alternative for me and what would work.

I thought I'd start with something which is I beleive would be straight forward, basically a ridgid template that I can use as a guide to trim the edges of a work piece to. By this I mean I run a bearing against the template, that bearing guides an incredibly sharp blade which cuts a replica of the template into the work piece. The template would need to be ridgid, but not to a great force (say pushing a tack into a noticeboard). Also it would probably not get continously used (depending on how cheap they are to print), I'd most likely use it the way I use my current ones, ie make some secondary templates to use in production (a slight error of judgement and the templates are damaged).

If anyone would like further info please drop me you email. I've got some photos of the exist template/result I can send (to compare against the hand made one). I've also got some sketches than seem like the way forward to me, but open to improvements. If this works out I'd like look at developing a modular system than I can expand.

Regards, Vic
Re: Routing Jigs and Templates [message #52204 is a reply to message #52202 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Vic,

Sounds like an interesting project, although size might limit the choice of Shapeways materials available for the print. Send me an email to paul@stop4stuff.com to dicuss further.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Routing Jigs and Templates [message #52206 is a reply to message #52202 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 15:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Hi Vic,

Like Paul says, 3D printing is going to get expensive or simply unable to make for anything large.

A better option may be CNC routing which you can do at Ponoko or even a local makerspace if they're available in your area. If you're interested in CNC options, you may email me:
marcus (at) denali3ddesign (dot) com

Regards,

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon

Previous Topic:Heroclix terrain barriers
Next Topic:Looking for DC Monument models

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.