Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Rush service?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rush service? [message #52190] Wed, 01 August 2012 09:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar Aholesen  is currently offline Aholesen
Go to my shop
Hello Shapeways,

I really love the 3D-printing services you provide. It has made me think about design and tinkering in a whole different way.

As an Industrial Designer, I also use Shapeways for business related jobs but some of my clients are complaining that production time is too long.

For example I am designing a hinge that needs to be finished for a presentation in two weeks. I may just barely make it in time and I had to choose the WSF option instead of the intended steel version. Bummer.

I would really like some sort of rush service available. If I could at a premium (example: +50% startup fee) and have it printed ASAP (example: 3 business days) it would be awesome.

I don't know how your logistics work but it should be possible to do so and you could make more money/make more people happy.
Re: Rush service? [message #52192 is a reply to message #52190 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 12:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
That would be nice, but for now you'll likely need to use a different print service to get rush parts. Expect to pay 2-10 times the amount that Shapeways charges though! If time is that important to your clients, its nice to have that option and they'll pay the premium.

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Rush service? [message #52197 is a reply to message #52192 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Aholesen  is currently offline Aholesen
Go to my shop
Do you have any examples of this or are you referring to more local consultants?

Because yes, 10 * the amount would probably be a good expectation Sad
Re: Rush service? [message #52201 is a reply to message #52197 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Any of the services that will get you a part in 2-3 days are typically aimed at commercial costumers - vs. Shapeways who targets mainly consumers. They charge that much because they have professional engineers that help you thru the process and make the part for you.

Here are some companies:
Redeye on demand
Quickparts
GPI Prototype

To find more, you can Google "rapid prototype service".

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Rush service? [message #52247 is a reply to message #52201 ] Thu, 02 August 2012 20:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Malcr001  is currently offline Malcr001
Go to my shop
I think a rush service that pushes your order ahead of the queue is a good idea. If you havent done so already you should add it here: http://feedback.shapeways.com/forums/111989-shapeways-feedba ck
Re: Rush service? [message #54528 is a reply to message #52247 ] Thu, 27 September 2012 00:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CactusBones  is currently offline CactusBones
Go to my shop
Could shapeways offer Rush Options for customers printing over a certain minimum- I have the need for printing over $1000 worth of materials at a time in some cases, but will have to turn to local fabrication companies because of the turn around times at shapeways. Would it be possible for shapeways to offer rush options for customers with really big orders? I need to establish a long term relationship with a fabricator as my business grows, and shapeways would be it, if it wasn't for the lead times.
Re: Rush service? [message #54549 is a reply to message #54528 ] Thu, 27 September 2012 12:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
This is a work in progress. One key issue right now is capacity. As capacity is growing, rush orders will become strategically possible.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 September 2012 12:38 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Gold-plated Lego Brick
Next Topic:iphone 5 specifications and measurements

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.