Home » Community » General Discussion » Paintable?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Paintable? [message #52178] Tue, 31 July 2012 23:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar patmat2350  is currently offline patmat2350
Go to my shop
I was about to push the button on a big order for White Detail... then noticed in one place (only in one place, the Compare Materials page), White Detail is described as having a "waxy" surface.

I need to paint my parts... can anyone confirm that White Detail happily accepts enamel paints?

Re: Paintable? [message #52186 is a reply to message #52178 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 08:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
White detail has a wax like feel to it rather than a wax surface. There may be some residue of the gel support material on the surface, but this can be cleaned off by letting the model stand in a mild and warm NaOH solution (aka lye, draino, caustic soda) followed brushing with a soft paintbrsh under running water, repeat as needed.

I've not tried painting Whie Detail, but it should behave like any other acrylic plastic, so I imagine a coat of primer before the enamels would be ok, it's fine for Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 August 2012 08:39 UTC]

Re: Paintable? [message #52188 is a reply to message #52186 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 09:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
I have painted White and Black Detail. If you clean and prime it properly it is no problem.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Previous Topic:Sandstone colored models
Next Topic:Silver handling fee too high?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.