Home » Community » Introductions » Hi from Canada
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi from Canada [message #52129] Tue, 31 July 2012 05:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar werwulf  is currently offline werwulf
Go to all my models
Hey all,
This is a totally new venture I'm looking into. I'm a war-gamer and have always wanted to design my own models/miniatures but until now had no idea where to start. As for software and experience I'm nil in both. Haven't done any 3d stuff, aside from drafting class years back in high-school. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Stupid question, has software advanced to the point that I can scan a 3 view picture of what I want into the computer and it renders that in 3D?
Thanks again for any help you can provide.
Re: Hi from Canada [message #52140 is a reply to message #52129 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 11:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Hello

Welcome to Shapeways. I started off in a similar position last autumn.

Following recommendations here, I picked up Blender (www.blender.org), a freeware program, and am quite happy with it. They also have good manuals and tutorials on their site. That said, it still took me several weeks of dabbling to get to my first model. With experience, you get much quicker than that,

AFAIK, there is no Software that allows you to enter a 3-view drawing and get out a 3d-Model. It is possible to use a set of pictures to make a 3d-Item, but you need something like 50 pictures from a lot of angles.

But Blender allows you to put an image as background to the screen, so you can model off that.

Greetings
Karl Heinz
Re: Hi from Canada [message #52145 is a reply to message #52140 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Check out http://123dcatch.com/

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Hi from Canada [message #52150 is a reply to message #52145 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Hello Stonysmith

I have tried 123dcatch using photos and it worked reasonably well.

But from pictures...Have you actually used it with a 3-View-drawing of, say, a car and got good results?
From Something like this?
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/dkw/4295/view/ dkw_munga_6_(1960)/

I would be interested in how you can make that work.

Greetings
Karl Heinz
Re: Hi from Canada [message #52181 is a reply to message #52150 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 02:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No, a simple 3view is likely not to work in 123dCatch.. it depends upon much more information (more angles) to work properly.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Hi from Canada [message #52184 is a reply to message #52129 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 06:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar werwulf  is currently offline werwulf
Go to all my models
Thanks all for the advice. No easy way out, so I shall have to wade in.

Previous Topic:Rith Intro
Next Topic:Power Seller College Newbie

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.