How to wash Ceramics?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Aquillyne, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    I note that the ceramic material should not be placed in a dishwasher - what will happen?

This aside, I assume it can safely be handwashed?

I assume it is indeed made suitable for the purpose of bearing consumable food and drink and hence needs to be washable?

By the way, the parts that remain unglazed - do we try to avoid getting them wet, or something?

Cheers.

2. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hi there, the part that is unglazed actually do have preglaze treatment applied. It is safe to get them wet.

The reason we don't recommend dishwasher is because some dish detergent can be abrasive and bad for the material. Hand washing is generally speaking, more gentle. Also, some dishwasher use high pressure water and it might breakage the ceramics (this like a lot of things depends on the geometry of the part).

I hope that clarifies our recommendations regarding ceramics!

Thanks,
    Nancy

3. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    In other words, I can safely go ahead and make e.g. a mug, and be sure I can actually use/handwash it for some time?

Do the products have an expected shelf life through normal use?

Cheers

4. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    The one big caution about this ceramics vs. store bought ceramics is this ceramics is much more brittle. So please handle with care!

We have cups that we made at the time of launch (more than one year ago) and they still work dandy. If there are any issues (cracks, water getting under the glaze) please let us know and we'll take care of you (reprint or refund). I haven't seen the water under the glaze issue for a while now, but in full disclosure there were a handful of cups before that had that issue.

5. Is there a way to get the ceramic prints diswasher safe?

I like shapeways very much but this is a problem, i.competitive service says that their prints are dishwasher safe.

Best Regards
    Sascha