Home » Support » 3D Applications » Reducing number of shells
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Reducing number of shells [message #51897] Thu, 26 July 2012 12:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar Robjames112  is currently offline Robjames112
Go to all my models
I have about 5 components left to an object, but I can't get them down to one shell. I've tried the repair and stitching functions in netfabb but to no avail. Bear with me as I'm self taught starting about 3 days ago but I could use some help.
Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51911 is a reply to message #51897 ] Thu, 26 July 2012 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Could you post a pic. Boolean union might solve your problems with making it manifold

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51912 is a reply to message #51911 ] Thu, 26 July 2012 15:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Here is one of the files

• Attachment: pulley.stl
    (Size: 32.89KB, Downloaded 53 time(s))

Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51915 is a reply to message #51912 ] Thu, 26 July 2012 15:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What software did you create this with?
The problem here is that every triangle of the STL is a separate shell.. What you need instead is for all the triangles to be ONE shell.

Attached is a repaired version.

• Attachment: pulley2.stl
    (Size: 14.34KB, Downloaded 50 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 26 July 2012 15:47 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51921 is a reply to message #51915 ] Thu, 26 July 2012 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It was made in Sketch up and converted to STL in MeshLab
Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51922 is a reply to message #51915 ] Thu, 26 July 2012 16:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Right, I think I have it, if you'd oblige I wouldn't mind you seeing if there's anything wrong.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 July 2012 16:23 UTC]

Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51996 is a reply to message #51897 ] Fri, 27 July 2012 18:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
What caused the main problem seemed to be several of the face normals were facing the wrong direction. The normals direction indicates a surface at the starting point of the normal. So for example, you create a cube, flip the normal of 1 face. The cube is still manifold(watertight) but with that normal facing inward, Shapeways regards that faces surface to be inside the cube,not on the outer surface like the other 5, which face outward, so its rejected.
Yea its sorta picky, but makes sense when the model needs to be represented in real terms, not just a subject for a render.
Duplicated vertices can also cause numerous problems.

Just remember to check to see that the normals of a mesh are pointing in the direction that will designate a surface thoughout its design. Especially after any operation on the mesh(boolean, subdivision, mirroring,..,)

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Reducing number of shells [message #51999 is a reply to message #51996 ] Fri, 27 July 2012 19:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks! JACANT actually pointed that out and gave me some steps to fix it.
Re: Reducing number of shells [message #52001 is a reply to message #51897 ] Fri, 27 July 2012 20:13 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
For a good mesh error repair program, Netfabb basic works well. Takes a few easy steps

1.Import STL
2. If a warning sign appears in far right corner
Click the repair icon at top(Red Cross)
4. In the new panel that opens up to the right, click Automatic repair/default repair/execute
5 click Apply repair/remove mesh in the same panel.
6. To make sure all is fixed, click New Analysis button(next to Red Cross) This will give you a updated analysis on the mesh

Keith

Previous Topic:Problem with sizes
Next Topic:converting existing MAX files?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.