Home » Community » Work in progress » Will the rings rotate?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Will the rings rotate? [message #51823] Wed, 25 July 2012 11:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar Plumguy  is currently offline Plumguy
Go to my shop
Hi guys. Seeking advice from the more experienced modelers out there, please!
This is my first design which consists of two rings with the inner ring expected to freely rotate. So my questions are:
Will the inner ring be able to rotate?
Is the design printable? (i.e. sufficient gap size?)
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated !
UPDATE:
Just a point of clarification, my questions regarding rotation,
gap, and printability are more directed at the pivot and peg and no the rings themselves. Very Happy

• Attachment: rings.stl
    (Size: 100.08KB, Downloaded 80 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 25 July 2012 12:27 UTC]

Re: Will the rings rotate? [message #75520 is a reply to message #51823 ] Thu, 26 September 2013 05:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Serhioromano  is currently offline Serhioromano
Go to my shop
If you read material comparison chart.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options/

You will find Minimum detail column. This is point of separation i think. For example the minimum detail is 0.2mm. It means that is you make gap 0.2mm it should be printable or in other words it will separate objects off each other. And then you may add another 0.1 or 0.2 to make it looser.
Re: Will the rings rotate? [message #75644 is a reply to message #75520 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 14:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Serhioromano wrote on Thu, 26 September 2013 05:53

If you read material comparison chart.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options/

You will find Minimum detail column. This is point of separation i think. For example the minimum detail is 0.2mm. It means that is you make gap 0.2mm it should be printable or in other words it will separate objects off each other. And then you may add another 0.1 or 0.2 to make it looser.

No no no, if you want parts to not fuse you need to follow the minimum clearance stated on the materials design guidelines. Such as for WSF the minimum clearance is .5mm

Minimum detail is for the size of elements you want to be printable and show up on the surface of a model.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Will the rings rotate? [message #75742 is a reply to message #75644 ] Sun, 29 September 2013 06:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Serhioromano  is currently offline Serhioromano
Go to my shop
This is true when you print details together. But when you print them separately and simply what to feet nicely I think 0.2 allowance is good because it also will be lowed after polish of both parts.
Re: Will the rings rotate? [message #75807 is a reply to message #51823 ] Mon, 30 September 2013 13:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Ah in that case I'd go with the tolerance of the material or accuracy. Such as for WSF it's ± 0.15mm, then ± 0.15% of longest axis. WSF is also a rougher material so will have more friction. So material choice is important for moving pieces. So to be sure it would print able to fit in WSF you'd have to have .3mm clearance, as with the accuracy it would print from 0mm clearance to .6mm clearance.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Will the rings rotate? [message #75825 is a reply to message #75807 ] Mon, 30 September 2013 15:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
In the original post the question was about the pivot, so I think YouKnowWho4Eva your first reply was the appropriate one.

Previous Topic:Dracula's pendant
Next Topic:Updated concept styled toy car (with suspension)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.