Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Embossed detail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Embossed detail [message #51605] Fri, 20 July 2012 06:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar PlainOrb  is currently offline PlainOrb
Go to my shop
In the tutorial of stainless steel polishing, it says embossed detail at least 0.8 mm. Does it mean 0.8 mm thickness and 0.8mm width ?

Plain Orb
Re: Embossed detail [message #51626 is a reply to message #51605 ] Fri, 20 July 2012 19:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I want to say both. I believe it's referring to the height of the emboss, so by the rules it would have to at least be as wide as it is thick. But I'll see if Nancy can clarify this for us.

Edit: I was wrong, it is the thickness of the font. But you still need to maintain a 1:1 thickness and width

P.S. if you could include a link to the page, it will help in finding what you are looking at faster.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 July 2012 20:29 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Embossed detail [message #51650 is a reply to message #51605 ] Sat, 21 July 2012 13:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the link to the page I'm looking at: http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel-polish ing
so, both height and width of font should be at least 0.8 mm ?

Plain Orb
Re: Embossed detail [message #51653 is a reply to message #51650 ] Sat, 21 July 2012 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A good example in my Check Rope Ring - the print in the main image was further polished by me using a dremel type rotary tool - The checker pattern has 1mm squares, the rope starts at ~0.8mm at the base thinning to nothing at the top but is still proud of the main structure of the ring.

The second image shows how the ring arrived;
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/640x476_180408_113946_1338413386.jpg

If you can, blend the edges of the embossing into the main structure of the model and model the raised parts as rounded, with maybe a 0.25mm radius corner to get good results.

Re: Embossed detail [message #51811 is a reply to message #51653 ] Wed, 25 July 2012 05:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I use Arial bold 15 pt , which brings width between 0.7mm ~ 1mm and height at 1mm. I'm not able to make round corner even at 0.2mm radius. Will the polishing make it round a little ?

Plain Orb
Re: Embossed detail [message #51831 is a reply to message #51811 ] Wed, 25 July 2012 13:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Polishing should round any exposed sharp corners.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Suitable for Sandstone
Next Topic:High Detail Print (WD or FD?)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.