Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Wax stamps
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wax stamps [message #51444] Tue, 17 July 2012 05:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
I don't really know why I decided to make a custom wax stamp one day. All I know is that now, around two weeks later, I am sitting here with a glue gun full of wax (yes, they make wax stick designed to fit in glue guns) playing with a seal that I know I'll never have a real-world use for. But, hey, it's fun! And the print came out beautifully detailed, better than I had expected.

index.php?t=getfile&id=18619&private=0

• Attachment: seal_big.jpg
    (Size: 191.95KB, Downloaded 606 time(s))

Check out my new shop Illogical!
Re: Wax stamps [message #51455 is a reply to message #51444 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 12:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I would so pay my bills in an envelope sealed with wax. My favorite part is probably that wood handle. Did you make that for the stamp?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Wax stamps [message #51475 is a reply to message #51455 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The company I ordered the wax from also sells stamps (and a bunch of other similar items). I ordered a handle from them when getting my wax. I was considering making my own handle out of wood or printing one but I didn't readily have the tools for the first option and I didn't readily have the money for the second option.

Either way, I'm very pleased with how it came together. I feel so classy.

Re: Wax stamps [message #60740 is a reply to message #51444 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 03:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar topangacreek  is currently offline topangacreek
Go to all my models
Looks great. I am planning on doing the same.
I wonder if Alumite would take the heat of the hot wax, or if I have to pony up for steel.
What material did you use?
Re: Wax stamps [message #60833 is a reply to message #60740 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 08:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibbage  is currently offline gibbage
Go to my shop
Alumide is aluminum dust trapped in nylon plastic. Its porous and I think would hold onto the wax.
Re: Wax stamps [message #60888 is a reply to message #60833 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
Nope Alumide and SF do not work. The wax will stick in it. evan in polisched. I made sam tesptints before prining it in Metal and teted it.
Re: Wax stamps [message #61421 is a reply to message #51444 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 20:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Not too sure what the Post Office would say about having wax crack off in their machinery... thing is I remember when (in the UK) if you were sending a parcel it HAD to be wrapped in brown paper, string AND the string had to be secured with wax!! And, no, I'm not 200 years old!

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Wax stamps [message #61446 is a reply to message #51444 ] Wed, 06 February 2013 10:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
I love this!

Now question: what are the dimensions for the circular line around your initials? It looks fairly thin. Very Happy

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Wax stamps [message #61449 is a reply to message #61446 ] Wed, 06 February 2013 10:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Hybrid424  is currently offline Hybrid424
Go to all my models
Excellent work! It looks and works beautifully.

I had a wax stamp sealed letter arrive not so long ago, and I just couldn't help but find it interesting. There's just something about it. If I sent more letters rather than parcels I'd definitely look into having one like this myself.

http://puzzle-obsessed.blogspot.com/
Re: Wax stamps [message #61496 is a reply to message #61446 ] Wed, 06 February 2013 22:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
The line has a thickness of 1mm. As you can see from the picture it comes out but not as deep as the rest of the design (even though it is the same depth on the stamp).

Previous Topic:Car Wiper Blade Adapter
Next Topic:Various parts for Nautilus submarine dollhouse

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.