Wax stamps

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by berky93, Jul 17, 2012.

1. berky93
    berky93 Member
    I don't really know why I decided to make a custom wax stamp one day. All I know is that now, around two weeks later, I am sitting here with a glue gun full of wax (yes, they make wax stick designed to fit in glue guns) playing with a seal that I know I'll never have a real-world use for. But, hey, it's fun! And the print came out beautifully detailed, better than I had expected.

seal_big.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I would so pay my bills in an envelope sealed with wax. My favorite part is probably that wood handle. Did you make that for the stamp?

3. berky93
    berky93 Member
    The company I ordered the wax from also sells stamps (and a bunch of other similar items). I ordered a handle from them when getting my wax. I was considering making my own handle out of wood or printing one but I didn't readily have the tools for the first option and I didn't readily have the money for the second option.

Either way, I'm very pleased with how it came together. I feel so classy.

4. Looks great. I am planning on doing the same.
    I wonder if Alumite would take the heat of the hot wax, or if I have to pony up for steel.
    What material did you use?

5. gibbage
    gibbage Member
    Alumide is aluminum dust trapped in nylon plastic. Its porous and I think would hold onto the wax.

6. wedge
    wedge Member
    Nope Alumide and SF do not work. The wax will stick in it. evan in polisched. I made sam tesptints before prining it in Metal and teted it.

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Not too sure what the Post Office would say about having wax crack off in their machinery... thing is I remember when (in the UK) if you were sending a parcel it HAD to be wrapped in brown paper, string AND the string had to be secured with wax!! And, no, I'm not 200 years old!

Glenn

8. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    I love this!

Now question: what are the dimensions for the circular line around your initials? It looks fairly thin. :D

Ray

9. Excellent work! It looks and works beautifully.

I had a wax stamp sealed letter arrive not so long ago, and I just couldn't help but find it interesting. There's just something about it. If I sent more letters rather than parcels I'd definitely look into having one like this myself.

10. berky93
    berky93 Member
    The line has a thickness of 1mm. As you can see from the picture it comes out but not as deep as the rest of the design (even though it is the same depth on the stamp).