Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by mariaeife, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mariaeife
    mariaeife Member
    Hey people,

I heard that subjecting the WSF material to boiling water compromised it's flexibility, making it more brittle. Though, in digging through here on the topic of dyeing, seems everyone uses the hot water method. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks! Maria

2. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    It's actually precisely the opposite - exposing the PA12 to boiling water anneals the material, making it more flexible by relieving its internal stresses. It's a common trick.

3. mariaeife
    mariaeife Member
    Hmm! Interesting.
    Thanks for your reply!

4. fred_oliver
    fred_oliver Member
    My "space dock" got distored during shipping. (The plastic bag may have been too small.) If I put a deformed WSF model in hot water, will it return to its original shape? This seems to work well with resin.

5. bimrc
    bimrc Member
    I would also like to know.

6. fred_oliver
    fred_oliver Member
    Eventually I'll have to break down and give it a try, maybe by gradually increasing the temperature of the water. It's no good to me as it is.

On a related note, I've been soaking my WSF models overnight in Thompson's water seal, thinking it might help seal the pores as it supposedly does with concrete. I don't know if it does any good, but I can report that it appears to do no harm.

7. SteampunkKAJA
    SteampunkKAJA Member
    I recently received several of my model sailing ships, and I had a similar issue. So, I put them in a pot of boiling water, and the masts, which had been twisted, simply straightened out. I didn't even need to put them in a fixture to get them right where I wanted them.