Do you guys have customs problem?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by NingHuaDesign, Jul 9, 2012.

1. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
    I've just checked my UPS tracking this morning, and here is the latest update I got :

" Shipment is held to verify commodity description with the customer for correct classification. "

Do you guys have such problem with your customs ?

2. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Occasionally

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Just the once - my Shapeways delivery was held for 5 days for 'inspection' - the blighters hadn't even opened the package or stuck any labelling on it :evil:

4. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
    I've just found following info in Shapeways shipping tutorial:

" Goods shipped outside of the EU will be described to your local customs as plastic or metal goods. " at the Duties and import tax section.

Maybe the model should be described in the name of the category the designer had assigned for it. This will help get the right classification at customs. I'm going to put this into feedback. You guys are welcome to vote for it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  5. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Wouldn't doing that be likely to attract more customs duty?

6. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
    I think customs will hold the package till the right classification is made. If there is tariff, it will be charged anyway. But writing the right classification on invoice at first place will make that process finish quickly. -- My poor experience during years of international business.

7. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
    My latest package was held up in customs since 9th, July, it's still in customs. That's a week in customs !!!!

8. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Customs are always a law unto themselves......

9. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    Can items for delivery in the EEC be nominated as priced and delivered from the Holland location VAT inclusive?.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  10. stop4stuff
    Items delivered from Shapeways to EU member countries attract no duties but have the destination country VAT rate applied to the final price (including shipping cost). This is automatic if you have the correct shipping details in your account details :)

11. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    So the Delivery Address triggers this, and there should be no further Customs or Excise charges on the item?

12. stop4stuff
  13. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    stop4stuff: This is useful to know and an attractive feature to push for Shapeways Shops.

14. stop4stuff
    Most of the info regarding EU member countries is in the Shipping Info linked to from the FAQs, and Shapeways are very forthcoming with info too :)

15. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Netherlands' rate (19%) or the rate is wrong.

16. stop4stuff
    An invoice for an order I placed in March 2012 carries 20% VAT, orders since have 20% and orders last year and previous have 19% - I'm a UK, not VAT registered user so presumed UK VAT law changed sometime earlier this year, something I shall need to look into.

17. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
  18. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    With the tragic slowdown of the UK Economy and another loss of 0.7% GDP in the last 3 months, it would be a popular measure for them to put VAT back to 17½% to retrieve the situation.

19. stop4stuff
    The first order I placed for myself this year (2012) was in March and has 20% VAT, all orders (2010 thru 2011) before this order had 19% VAT and all orders since March 2012 have 20% VAT.

I did some digging yesterday and as far as I can make out for non-VAT registered pruchasers, items coming into the UK from within the EU must have UK VAT applied to them or they'll be seized by customs which conflicts with the 'general rule' of paying the VAT rate for the country purchased from. I'll phone the VAT people today (I meant to yesterday but forgot).

20. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    It would be nice to have someone from Shapeways contribute to this thread.
    I have done dummy runs, and there are problems, choosing Pounds Sterling, and choosing delivery out of country of originating Order.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012