Home » Support » 3D Design » Wallthickness Issues
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wallthickness Issues [message #50843] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar 3dworks  is currently offline 3dworks
Go to all my models
Hi

I use geomagic software to add wallthickness (2mm) to my models. When i calculate the volume in geomagic everything seems right. However when the model (*.stl) is uploaded to shapeways website it is calculated as a solid model.

The model doesnt have any intersections, spikes or other errors.

This happened with me on several occasions.

Please advice.

edit: ive also calculated the volume in meshlab. And there WT also is also properly applied.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 July 2012 11:46 UTC]

Re: Wallthickness Issues [message #50852 is a reply to message #50843 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 13:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You must have a hole going from the inside to the outside. Shapeways software automatically deletes internal geometry not connected to the outside.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Wallthickness Issues [message #50860 is a reply to message #50843 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Use NetFabb Studio Basic (its free) for measuring, error checking and repairing models. Load in model, volume and surface area is shown, select the measuring tool and you can measure whatever you like. However, loke Mike says. you will need to have an opening joining the inner and outer shells otherwise Shapeways software cannot find the inside shell and will treat the model as solid.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 July 2012 16:43 UTC]

Re: Wallthickness Issues [message #51195 is a reply to message #50843 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 23:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Basically, Shapeways acts like a surface modeller. Needs well defined surfaces.
You upload a model of a sphere for example, with all its normals pointed outward. The printer detects the outer surface, with a defined interior,and surface, prints it as a solid.
You create a sphere, with a 2mm wall, Shapeways sees only the outer surface again, not the interior walls, prints another solid.
The hole, which really needs to be described as a tunnel, allows SW to detect the interior faces of the objects interior wall you created, as well as the surface. So now you you get the sphere with less volume printed.
A interesting fact, if you take a mesh, duplicate it, reverse the directions its face normals are facing, scale it inward, then join both meshes, you have created a interior wall. You still need a tunnel connecting the outer and inner faces for SW to recognize the inner surface

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Snap Fits
Next Topic:wall thickness on heads

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.