Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » glazed ceramics models
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
glazed ceramics models [message #50710] Mon, 02 July 2012 15:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar THALETEC  is currently offline THALETEC
Go to my shop
We need to know:

- what is the coefficient of thermal expansion of the base material used for the glazed ceramics models?

- is it possible to get the printed model without the ceramics glaze?

- how much does the material shrink when fired?
Re: glazed ceramics models [message #50711 is a reply to message #50710 ] Mon, 02 July 2012 15:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm not sure about the first point, I know the final product is safe up to 500 degrees Celsius. For 2, no you can not order unglazed. And for shrinkage, I'm not sure but the tolerance for ceramics is high because of shrinkage, glazing, and other steps in the process that can cause variations.

Check out the ceramics page and design rules for more.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: glazed ceramics models [message #62792 is a reply to message #50711 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 21:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar D-Sign  is currently offline D-Sign
Go to my shop
Hi I don't know if this has been asked before, but after extensive search (and review of the ceramics design rules) I still have a few questions regarding Ceramics, and I though I'll ask here.

First off all, is the glaze, sprayed on, brushed or are figures dipped on it? I ask this, because I am creating a figure with a hollow interior with minor cuts and would like to know just how much thickness am I adding (1mm glaze each side).

Second, the recommended thickness for a 120mm wall is 3mm, but if its just 90 can I lower it? or is it 3mm the minimum?

Third, the wall thickness.. any chance the 3mm is with the glaze on? 1mm glaze+1mm ceramic+ 1mm glaze? Or is it 1mm glaze+ 3mm ceramic+ 1mm glaze total 5mm thickness?? Because 5mm I think feels thick for a espresso cup..

Fourth it is mentioned that we must have an obvious bottom for the piece, (and I think mine does, well sort off) but just to play on the safe side, how do I mark the bottom? Will my signature at the bottom be sufficient?

Thanks!

Previous Topic:Removing excess white goo (glue?) from Full Color Sandstone? (Pics)
Next Topic:Glued non locking assembly

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.