Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10802 is a reply to message #7903 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 23:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
W A X

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10807 is a reply to message #10802 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 05:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 23:52

W A X

I agree wholeheartedly
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10813 is a reply to message #7903 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 12:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I believe it's been said, but glow in the dark. Add it to the Sandstone? Add it to the WSF? either way. would be awesome. Now that I mentioned it, especially the sand stone.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10823 is a reply to message #7903 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sledgehammer  is currently offline Sledgehammer
Go to all my models
A reasonably-affordable material akin to Polyjet HD, but without the severe wallet trauma. Something along that line would be the perfect stuff for making properly smooth-surfaced mold masters, as White Detail is still a little bit too steppy IMO, and the Polyjet stuff costs an arm and both legs.

That, or coloured versions of Transparent Detail - red, blue, green and yellow in particular would be outstanding.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10858 is a reply to message #10823 ] Wed, 17 March 2010 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dymihail  is currently offline dymihail
Go to all my models
White Detail = Polyjet

I've been using it for masters for silicon molds for going on three years now. The most I ever do to prep it is give it a coat of primer.

For the models that I'm doing now, I frequently find that one of the Detail colors is cheaper than WS&F because it doesn't have the $1.50/model surcharge of WS&F. I personally feel that polyjet is superior to SLS. YMMV.

Back on topic... Invision HD might be a nice product to try, though I believe that would require the purchase of a new printer. It actually has better X & Y resolution than polyjet.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10881 is a reply to message #10813 ] Wed, 17 March 2010 22:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
@Youknowwho4eva it'd be cheaper just to buy the paint and paint over it in thin layers for desired effect since a powder doesn't really exist.. its not that hard to do.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10884 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 18 March 2010 00:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mark_Kendrick  is currently offline Mark_Kendrick
Go to my shop
As much as i'd like wax, im not sure if it would survive being posted around the world. Has anyone else had wax parts from another source airfreighted to the hotter parts of the world?
It can get awfully hot in an uninsulated truck in Australia.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10931 is a reply to message #10884 ] Thu, 18 March 2010 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coines23  is currently offline coines23
Go to my shop
I'd like to see the Vero Grey (or grey detail) that David mentioned.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10935 is a reply to message #10881 ] Thu, 18 March 2010 20:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
akeno wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 22:36

@Youknowwho4eva it'd be cheaper just to buy the paint and paint over it in thin layers for desired effect since a powder doesn't really exist.. its not that hard to do.

Powders Exist. I was doing the research for a project I've been looking at.

Glowinc.com
24 hour 9.29 an oz
12 hour 7.89 an oz
glownation.com
12 hour 6.95 an oz
teachersource.com
5.50 an oz
riskreactor.com
100 hour 19.00 an oz

That's the list of sites I came up with. The hours are the how long it glows at full charge. All are for powder (pigment for paint)

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #25382 is a reply to message #10465 ] Mon, 28 March 2011 20:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar magicmodel  is currently offline magicmodel
Go to my shop
Vero Blue for Objet would be very nice to have because it allows you to see the contrast of the surface a lot better than white detail or black detail. It gets used heavily in the 3d printing of cg characters and sculptures from zbrush and mudbox. When can you get it? Please get vero blue. I'll be your best pal Shapeways Smile

MM
Re: Silicone, please? [message #25526 is a reply to message #8070 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ErkDemon  is currently offline ErkDemon
Go to my shop
Casting my vote with the people asking for some sort of flexible rubbery stuff. I think it's the main thing missing from the catalogue.

You could use it to print flexible lids for containers, soft shock-absorbing smartphone sleeves and portable harddrive wallets, anti-vibration feet and mountings for consumer electronics, flexible hinges and handgrips for composite pieces ... all sorts of cool things and components become possible.

But some of the applications would need it to be food-safe and perhaps dishwasher-safe (flexible lids for food containers, beakers, etc).

I suppose that for simple shapes, we could print a "negative" version as a mould, and use something like silicone or Sugru to make the components ourselves, at home ... but that means that anything we design that relies on those parts can't be sold in the Shapeways shop. Sad

ErkDemon (Eric Baird)
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #26355 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 08:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar artfulshrapnel  is currently offline artfulshrapnel
Go to my shop
I know it has been said before, but:

WAX!

My experience has been that shipping wax isn't an issue. It has to get to at least 150 degrees to start showing signs of wear, and is nearly as sturdy as plastic for smaller objects (like jewelry) if it is simply placed in a plastic bag and surrounded by styrofoam peanuts.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #26442 is a reply to message #26355 ] Sun, 24 April 2011 02:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Which kind of degrees? Kelvin, Celsius, Farenheit, Réaumur... ^_^

You should try the frosted materials (HD 3000 with SR200), they seem to be castable, melt above 80C and have low ash content... just like many other "waxes" by other companies.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #28845 is a reply to message #7907 ] Fri, 10 June 2011 02:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thehelmosengine  is currently offline thehelmosengine
Go to my shop
Having RTV molds printed is a genius idea I second wholeheartedly! It would save me tons of time and materials to be able to just order a mold ready to make my parts! I love it.

Also admittedly I'm new to this and somewhat new to casting, but I will throw another vote in for WAX if I can. Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2011 02:41 UTC]

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #29180 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 16 June 2011 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar simonbrblue  is currently offline simonbrblue
Go to my shop
What about a low cost option so that larger parts/items can be printed without costing lots of money.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #29822 is a reply to message #7903 ] Tue, 28 June 2011 06:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dhammond  is currently offline dhammond
Go to all my models
I would like to see a transparent material such as Objet VeroClear. There would have to be a note on the system that the material would need a lot of polishing by the customer to get the object optically clear and that the material does yellow with UV. I have used this type of material in the past from other suppliers to make concept models.

Also a material that simulates polypropylene such as Objet DurusWhite to have snap fits and living hinges in parts with quite high detail and relatively smooth finish.

Direct metal laser sintered materials for making metal parts with higher levels of detail.

And another vote for wax for making molds using the lost wax process. I use molds for making replacement rubber parts on classic vehicles where replacement parts are no longer available.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #30588 is a reply to message #29822 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 05:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dungeon Beast  is currently offline Dungeon Beast
Go to my shop
Count me in there as a vote for high detail wax. I would also like to have access to gold on this system. Yes, gold costs more but you also make more money on gold. And something pink, high detail, flexible and affordable would be very saleable.

If you like my shapeways designs check out some of my other designs at
http://www.BryanJohnson.ca
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31194 is a reply to message #7903 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 12:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar reecejames  is currently offline reecejames
Go to my shop
As much as wax would be useful for the casters, I'd like to see more materials cast by Shapeways. This is in keeping with the 'product' philosophy and also helps out the guys who have no interest in casting items.

I'm specifically interested in brass, but bronze would also be welcome. I'd expect figurine/model railway guys to die for white metal as a choice.

As it costs Shapeways effectively nothing to print the wax, the majority of costs are in the casting process. The cost of the end product isn't a problem. Brass or bronze casting costs a lot for one of pieces at the local foundry.

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31207 is a reply to message #31194 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Maybe we can simplify the wax discussion. Here's a question for the guys who want models in wax. If you want wax models what metal do you plan to cast those wax models in?

For me, I want wax models because shapeway does not offer casting in gold. If I had casting in gold I would not need wax models.

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31209 is a reply to message #31207 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar artfulshrapnel  is currently offline artfulshrapnel
Go to my shop
Well, I for one cast my models in resin or pewter, though I am looking at casting some stuff up in silver for jewelry applications.

To me, the reason behind hi-def wax casting isn't the "wax" part, it's the "hi def" part. Current generation 3d printing technology for wax is light years ahead of where it is for plastics and metals in terms of resolution and print clarity. I do miniature designs and jewelry, and both would benefit greatly from a more detailed, smooth print job.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31214 is a reply to message #31209 ] Wed, 20 July 2011 18:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thehelmosengine  is currently offline thehelmosengine
Go to my shop
I also do resin casts of my printed and hand sculpted parts and my only issue is the surface quality. I need a high level of detail and super smooth surface quality. The plastics I get printed are great in detail but the surface smoothness is always an issue and makes for less than perfect parts. Great detail and an actually smooth surface are what I'm looking for and if wax provides that I'm all for it.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31759 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 28 July 2011 22:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SIXTHSCALE  is currently offline SIXTHSCALE
Go to my shop
wood
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31793 is a reply to message #31759 ] Fri, 29 July 2011 12:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
I doubt i'm the first one to say this, but a plastic that is full color. I'd prefer WSF-like, in that it should be able to flex slightly. It'd just be so useful, being able to print it in the colours i want. That way, i don't have to take a guess at how much tolerance i have to leave, taking into account painting.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31822 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 29 July 2011 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I think the problem with that is cost. If it was economically viable to offer to dye the plastics in any colour you wanted, they'd offer more than the three or four colours they do. That said, it would be nice if there were a way to print coloured plastic like you can the 'sandstone'.

While I wouldn't want it myself, I do wonder if it would be feasible to offer WSF both dyed and polished (or polished and dyed, I'm not fussed). Razz

For the record, I don't think I ever allow more than 0.1mm tolerance each side, and even after painting, I still sometimes get loose bits.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2011 20:23 UTC]

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31918 is a reply to message #31822 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
Well, I was thinking to stray away from actually dyeing the models. I was really hoping you could get more than one colour on a certain part. I always imagined SLS as like mini-Lego, like the machine was building up the model with little White bricks. I guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be too far a leap to give the machine reservoirs of different colours of the powdered plastic, and then telling the machine which colours to build where. The actual colors would obviously have to be limited, like a certain shade of red, another of blue and what have you, rather than any shade you could possibly imagine as that wouldn't be practical.

I understand it would add to the cost, but it'd be great to have it as an option. Well, as long as it doesn't add too much to the cost. Smile
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31962 is a reply to message #7903 ] Tue, 02 August 2011 12:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dhammond  is currently offline dhammond
Go to all my models
As far as I know, the only system that allows printing in different colour plastics that is relatively cheap to switch over the materials is fused deposition molding (FDM). The Objet system allows different colours but the cost and labour of purging the system to change to a different material would be the issue.

An ideal solution would be for Shapeways to offer polyurethane castings as you dye the resin to suit prior to putting into the mold however it is a labour intensive process.

The ability for users to order wax models so that we could make our own RTV moldings to use for the final polyurethane castings would probably the best solution.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #31971 is a reply to message #7903 ] Tue, 02 August 2011 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Or wax models so those of us who cast in precious metals may do so as well.

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #32053 is a reply to message #31971 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 14:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FoxholeAtheist  is currently offline FoxholeAtheist
Go to all my models
I'd like to see wax (for casting) and marine grade bronze (specifically a silicon or aluminum bronze).
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #32913 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 18 August 2011 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Caseyhooligan  is currently offline Caseyhooligan
Go to my shop
PEEK for SLS would be good, I need something with better mechanical properties, Am I dreaming?
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #33403 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 22:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sgheeter  is currently offline sgheeter
Go to my shop
RTV Please!!!!

while you are at it, it might be a straightforward app to design master here as always, input external dimensions of the mold desired, the "split line", the "cone" and "vents" and then let the app make the two halfs.

PLEASE!

icon14.gif  Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34790 is a reply to message #31759 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 13:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar D_man  is currently offline D_man
Go to my shop
SIXTHSCALE wrote on Thu, 28 July 2011 22:08

wood

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yep,
WOOD
for me too !
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34864 is a reply to message #34790 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 10:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ZakK  is currently offline ZakK
Go to all my models
I would love to see wax for casting too!

Wood would be pretty coolies tho!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34869 is a reply to message #32913 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 11:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar reecejames  is currently offline reecejames
Go to my shop
Caseyhooligan wrote on Thu, 18 August 2011 21:18

PEEK for SLS would be good, I need something with better mechanical properties, Am I dreaming?

Oh wow yes! I could make some of the most amazing seals with PEEK SLS!

Wood isn't printable that's a normal CNC process....

Looks like wax would be the winner, especially as Shapeways is already printing it.
Smile

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34871 is a reply to message #34869 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 12:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
At the moment I would go for POM/acital, especially if could be as fine as FUD.

Bill Bedford
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34884 is a reply to message #34869 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 14:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
reecejames wrote on Thu, 22 September 2011 11:07

Wood isn't printable that's a normal CNC process....

Hahaha!! Yup, that's why it would be so cool!! Super speed organic printing, hey, they can print kidneys nowadays, wood shouldn't be too far off!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2011 14:50 UTC]

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34889 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I wouldn't say wood isn't printable. You could do wood dust and glue being like plywood, and in the case of the kidney, you could build it cell by cell.

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34892 is a reply to message #34889 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 16:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 22 September 2011 15:48

I wouldn't say wood isn't printable. You could do wood dust and glue being like plywood, and in the case of the kidney, you could build it cell by cell.

They are waaay ahead of you!! No 'could' about it... Shocked

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidn ey.html

Cmon shapeways, get on it!!! Very Happy
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #34895 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Seen it, and they haven't printed kidney's yet. It was a demonstration on how it could be done. I was saying to use plant cells for a print. It would be kinda like a chea pet

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #35389 is a reply to message #7908 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 12:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar D_man  is currently offline D_man
Go to my shop
ant.j.green@gmail.com wrote on Thu, 26 November 2009 21:35

Hi. Elastomer materials at shapeways prices!
This would be helpful for prototyping diaphragms and gaskets. I think this can be done on the Objet printers, and the material is known as TangoPlus / TangoBlack etc

Also Transparent material - SLA? "transparent detail" is no good for optical applications.

As an aside, it would be helpful to show the process next to the material description. Eg "White strong and felxible (SLS)" or "Cream Robust (FDM)"

I'd love to have some flexible material too ! Not too flexible of course, something that could both keep its shape and be soft and flexible.
Something with the soft touch of silicon they use for sextoys for instance !
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #35908 is a reply to message #35389 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 07:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar rickhahn  is currently offline rickhahn
Go to my shop
I would like to see CarbonMide being added to the material list. We are just starting to use Rapid Prototyping here at work (a classic car restoration and modification shop) and I would love to have a material that is as strong or stronger than Nylon, but can withstand much higher temperatures!

Pages (3): [ «    1  2  3    »] 

Previous Topic:Add Pewter as a Material
Next Topic:My Models management by Folders

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.