Home » Community » General Discussion » Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #60667] Thu, 24 January 2013 13:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi all,

as we're always having a blast at meetups (and we've met MANY of you there already!), we're trying to host a 'World Meetup' this year in one month from now. We'll need your help to make this happen: please read the following blog post:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1890-Announcing-Shape ways-World-Meetup-Day-on-February-28th.html

You can find a list of planned World Meetups here:

http://www.meetup.com/ShapewaysCommunity/details/867572/

If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave them here on the forum.

Thanks, and let's get this party started!

Bart and Natalia

UPDATE: we are providing some helpful hints to meetup hosts every week in this forum thread:

January 31: What is required of a Meetup host and how do I start a Shapeways Meetup?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2013 12:13 UTC]

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #60704 is a reply to message #60667 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 18:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
As already discused with Bart via email, I have a few venues that may be suitable on the outskirts of Southampton (Hampshire, England) within 5/10 minutes drive of junction 5 or 7 of the M27 (Eastleigh/Hedge End).

Party On!

Paul

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #60712 is a reply to message #60704 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks Paul! Did you create a meetup for this yet?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #60713 is a reply to message #60712 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Bart,

No, not yet. I put the post on the forum though, to see if there are any people interested.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61063 is a reply to message #60713 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Stop4stuff: it may work better if you create the meetup on the Meetup.com page, you can use that too to find out if people are interested. I think people are more likely to find your meetup there than here on the forum.

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61064 is a reply to message #60667 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 12:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Update: After less than one week, we have 44 meetups planned. Some are still small (1-2 persons), but we'll do our best to reach all local community members over the next few weeks, and fill them up. If you're interested in a nice social 3D printing event in your area, please go ahead and create a meetup as well!

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61085 is a reply to message #61064 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rubyscooby  is currently offline rubyscooby
Go to my shop
I would have thought more Bay Area people would have joined the meetup!

Here's the link

http://www.meetup.com/ShapewaysCommunity/San-Francisco-CA/86 7712/?a=bn2&ed=where
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61099 is a reply to message #61085 ] Thu, 31 January 2013 10:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
HI rubyscooby,

I'm sure they will! We're preparing additional publicity and it's great to have the meetups listed now - that makes it SO much easier for others to join!

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61108 is a reply to message #61099 ] Thu, 31 January 2013 13:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow! We already have 47 events planned for our World Meetup Day on February 28th, including events in the US, Europe, the Middle East, Russia and Asia! Some are still small, but now that the list is available, it'll be easier for others to join you.

During the next four weeks we will be posting updates here on the forum. This week, we'll focus on the first preparations of your meetup. If you have any questions, please discuss them here with the other hosts.

What is required of a Shapeways Meetup host?

We are looking for people who enjoy meeting others and talk about design and 3D printing. As a host, you are 'in charge' of picking a venue and welcoming everyone - but you will not be alone! Through Meetup you can discuss your event with others or even co-host it.

How do I start a Shapeways Meetup?

1. Check our World Meetup page to see if there is already a group of people in your area. If not, create your own! (Search for your town and click on 'Start a new community in...') If you're not sure if there are other members in your area, don't worry - just by adding your meetup to the list you may be able to find each other.

2. Select a time. Meetings in the early evening (say, 7pm-9pm) usually work best, but feel free to pick any other time.

3. Find a location. Good spots include bars (our favorite), schools and a meeting room at work. Call to see if they can host 10-20 people (the average meetup size). Do not accept any financial obligations for space - people will pay their own drinks and snacks. Do you find it hard to pick a location? Discuss it with your meetup members or here on the forum.

Next Steps

Next week, we will be back with some suggestions on how to give your meetup some good publicity and on how we are going to help you with that. Stay tuned!

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61611 is a reply to message #61108 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 16:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Here's the Minneapolis Shapeways Meetup, World Shapeways Meetup Edition!

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61780 is a reply to message #61611 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks Marcus!

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61781 is a reply to message #60667 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi all,

How are the World Meetup preparations coming along? Last week I promised you that we'd send you more information on how to promote your event. We're designing a flyer that you can use, but it takes a little longer then I thought. It should be ready early next week, so I'll be back in touch with you then!

In the mean time, it would be great if you could all introduce yourselves on our forum. That way, we can start sharing questions and experiences there and make everybody's meetup better. Please add your message to this thread!

Thanks!

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61789 is a reply to message #61781 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vertigopolka  is currently offline vertigopolka
Go to my shop
I'm hosting the Chicago Shapeways Meetup! Looking forward to meeting local Shapies or anyone else interested in 3D printing.

@vertigopolka
http://www.vertigopolka.com
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61812 is a reply to message #60667 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rubyscooby  is currently offline rubyscooby
Go to my shop
Hi Everyone,

I'm Ruby and I'll be hosting the San Francisco Shapeway's meetup. I really wanted it to happen and since no one had come forward I decided to make it happen. I'm a 3D artist who's been doing this for ages. I got my start in Germany on big old SGI machines doing films, commercials., and music videos. I love Z-brush as it's finally enabled me to model. I have never been much of a poly pusher. Being able to print stuff in 3D is amazing. I have created some jewelry and hat ornaments and plan on doing shoes with a shoe designer. I can't wait to meet other people and swap stories and hear what they have made.

The event will be located at a local bar that's easy walking distance from 24th street BART and a number of buses. It's also not on the main street so parking might actually be possible!

I can't wait to meet everyone!

Ruby Rieke
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61824 is a reply to message #60667 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 21:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi All,

i'll be at the NY meetup. I'll drum up some more traffic on the main meetup page and see what other Shapeways Team members I can get to join in NY

-Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61833 is a reply to message #60667 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelShepherdDesign  is currently offline MichaelShepherdDesign
Go to my shop
Hi Bargt,

I'm hosting the Shapeways World Meetup in Perth Australia. It seems the Shapeways World Meetup page can't be found on the local Meetup page; I can only find it if I log onto the US site. This is making it hard to communicate and find more people to attend. I understand you have had difficulty contacting me. My email for future correspondence is furniture@iinet.net.au.

Thanks for a great initiative and all your hard work,

Michael
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61862 is a reply to message #60667 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@vertigopolka, @rubyscooby, @Mikie2 - awesome, thank you so much!! I'll be publishing some suggestions on how to get more people on board shortly.

@natalia - are you offering free drinks? I am! Let's battle and see who gets the biggest meetup! <evil grin>

Bart

[Updated on: Tue, 12 February 2013 12:41 UTC]

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61865 is a reply to message #60667 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 12:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
index.php?t=getfile&id=27182&private=0

Hello everyone! We have a little less than two weeks left until February 28th, so it's time to start making some noise and make sure everyone in your area knows about the event! We will soon start some serious promotion, but you can help as well. Today I'll share some suggestions for promotion in your local community.

Tech clubs

In most big cities you will find FabLabs, TechShops, Hackerspaces etc. These people love creating things and are usually very interested in

Schools

Are there any design schools, jewelry workshops, product design departments on universities in your area? You can try reaching out through their student associations, or look for contact information on their websites.

Use Meetup to find related communities in your area and send them a friendly note to invite them to your meetup. I looked in the Amsterdam area and found tons of '3D printing', 'Design', 'Rapid Prototyping', 'Jewelry' communities - you name it. It only takes a few minutes and you're related to mailing three groups per day. Remember to be personal, respectful and don't spam!

Shops, clubs etc.

Our designers have created a flyer that you can leave on message-boards in shops, clubs etc (see the image above). Just download the PDF, write the time and location on it and leave it somewhere. Again: be respectful and ask for permission.

What did you do?

How did you promote your event? Did it work? Please share!

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61871 is a reply to message #61865 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Rakentaja  is currently offline Rakentaja
Go to my shop
Hi!

I'm attending Helsinki meetup. We have two people attending and would love to have some more shapers Smile

Place is open, but I've studied at Helsinki University of Technology and I think I can arrange us to meet somewhere at Otaniemi Campus (at Espoo) if needed.

-Rauno

[Updated on: Tue, 12 February 2013 13:30 UTC]

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61891 is a reply to message #61871 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks Rauno!

I see that Julian joined you as well. He worked for Shapeways Eindhoven and is eager to help out, I'm sure the two of you can make the event grow.

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61897 is a reply to message #61891 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 17:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Stein  is currently offline Stein
Go to my shop
Hello People!

I'm Stein and I'll be the host for the meetup in Arnhem (Netherlands). I hope to meet more shapers who live in the neighbourhood but at this point my meeting is still kinda lonely. Since november last year I started my own design company specialized in personalized 3d printed products but I will tell everything about it at the meetup.

The event will take place at "Het Proeflokaal, de nieuwe waag". Parking will not be a problem because it is right in front of the Markt. Parking space for several hunderds of cars.

So to all dutchies, Join!

-Stein de Haan-

UPDATE: I Just figured out that this sunday there is an event about 3D printing in cafe Dudok, Arnhem. I will also join this event and will try to get some people to join mine but it could be difficult to have two simulair events within a short period of time. The other event is a reading with Siert Wijnia (Directeur Ultimaker) and Rick Companje (Doodle3D). I Think it is intresting so other Shapers feel also free to join this one Wink

Source: http://www.3dprintcafe.nl/home/

[Updated on: Tue, 12 February 2013 20:29 UTC]

StudioStein - Personalized 3D printing
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #61972 is a reply to message #61897 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 17:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar edddy  is currently offline edddy
Go to my shop
français:
je reviens à l'instant de la cité des sciences avec plein de bonnes nouvelles:
nous aurions le carrefour numérique pour nous de 19h à 21h et la possibilité d'avoir des boissons, un espace aménagé avec des fauteuils, une table pour présenter nos prod et même un écran de projection si besoin.
Et bien sûr un accès au FabLab pour les curieux Wink

english:

I return to the "cité des sciences" with lots of good news:
we would have the "carrefour numérique" for us 19h to 21h and the possibility of having drinks, a space furnished with armchairs, a table to present our prod and even a projector screen if needed.
And of course access to the FabLab for the curious Wink

so, if you're ok, Paris have his place:
Cité des sciences
carrefour numérique (niveau -1)
metro porte de la Villette
le 28 fevrier de 19h à 21h

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2013 17:28 UTC]

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62050 is a reply to message #61972 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Good job edddy! I *so* wish I could join you guys in Paris this time!!

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62231 is a reply to message #61862 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 10:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelShepherdDesign  is currently offline MichaelShepherdDesign
Go to my shop
As the Meetup day is fast approaching I was so wondering when/how do we get the samples. I'm hosting the Meetup in Perth (far away!) It would be embarrassing if they don't arrive on time.
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62387 is a reply to message #61865 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vertigopolka  is currently offline vertigopolka
Go to my shop
Hey Chicagoans!, let's get this party started!

I've taken the flyer that Bart provided and adapted it for the Chicago Meetup. Download the PDF here.
It includes a QR code to make it easier for people to sign up via cell phone.

As per Bart, be respectful and ask permission when posting.

@vertigopolka
http://www.vertigopolka.com
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62449 is a reply to message #62231 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Mikie2: we will be shipping out the samples tomorrow. Be advised though that we cannot afford to send a sample box to every single meetup, only to the largest ones. The meetups are mostly meant as a social event, so even without sample models you should be able to have a good evening Smile

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62463 is a reply to message #62449 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 15:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar magnusgreni  is currently offline magnusgreni
Go to my shop
Hello from Norway!
I'm Magnus, and I finally found a place to meet in Oslo!
Various architects will open their doors for us on the 28, and I'm very grateful for this collaboration:-)

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2013 15:08 UTC]

magnusgreni
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62473 is a reply to message #61865 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar juanselobo  is currently offline juanselobo
Go to my shop
awesome!!! i will be there!
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62513 is a reply to message #62463 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Magnus: wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much for setting that up!

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62535 is a reply to message #62513 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 17:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Meetup hosts!

Maybe you've already noticed, but we are currently running a site-wide banner for our World Meetup day (see the top of the page). In addition, we'll start some campaigns on Facebook to try and drive more visitors to your events.

Brace for impact! Smile

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62566 is a reply to message #60667 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 02:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Attention Toronto and GTA members: There is a Toronto-based group on MeetUp called 3D Printing Group. I joined their group and I have sent a suggestion to them (surely ONE of them must be a member here?!) that perhaps they can host the Toronto Shapeways World MeetUp Day since they have a regular location that they use... Damn long distance from me but if they do it I'm hoping I can attend.

Glenn

EDIT: I just heard from one of the members of that group. It seems that because many of the office employees (where they meet) will be out of town that day they cannot host the Meet... Very receptive to Shapeways Toronto members meeting there in the future, though.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2013 02:14 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62583 is a reply to message #62566 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 10:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nice initiative lensman, thanks! Don't worry about a location too much though - especially with a smaller group, you can always meet in a bar Smile

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62644 is a reply to message #62583 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 05:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I offered to host the Cambridge, MA meetup. My house is actually in Somerville, but since there's only one other person subscribed anyway I figure why not. It's the next town over.

Anyway, I have a bunch of 3D prints, if you want to check them out and/or bring yours, poke the meetup page. I'll announce the address on Wednesday, it's not far from Union Square in Somerville.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62705 is a reply to message #62644 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 11:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Bathsheba,

offering your house as a location is amazing, thanks!

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62728 is a reply to message #62705 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 21:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar petr  is currently offline petr
Go to all my models
We're planning on doing a handful of 3D scans of folks and then have a draw (or two or three) as to see who will get printed via Shapeways.
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62748 is a reply to message #62728 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 09:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey Petr,

nice! Which city are you in?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62749 is a reply to message #62705 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 10:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
bartv wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 11:31

Hi Bathsheba,
offering your house as a location is amazing, thanks!

I'm too lazy to move my heap o' stuff anywhere else.

Looks like a few more people signed up, so it's on. Razz

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62771 is a reply to message #62748 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar petr  is currently offline petr
Go to all my models
I'm in Portland, OR. I sent a separate email directly to you last week about the meetup. Didn't hear back.

Petr
Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62776 is a reply to message #62771 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey Petr,

you have an answer in your mail. I got your message yesterday, and things are getting a little busy Wink

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28 [message #62828 is a reply to message #60667 ] Tue, 26 February 2013 16:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
index.php?t=getfile&id=28058&private=0

Hi all,

with just two more days until the Shapeways World Meetup, it's time for our final update. Things are getting pretty hectic around here, now that we have meetups in over 80 cities with more than 400 participants! We're all *very* excited to see what's about to happen Smile

What can you still do before the meetup?

Please make sure you have selected a location, and add it to the meetup at the top of your page. If the venue is big, explain where people can find you or how they can recognize you.

We're still promoting the event everywhere we can: there is now a banner on every page of Shapeways.com, we have80 targeted campaigns active on Facebook, and we are reaching out to the press, all to get more people to your meetup! You can still promote the event yourself as well: check out the tips above for some ideas.

Also, post on Twitter or Facebook! For our event's hashtag, see below.

Event hashtag: #SWmeetup

We have settled on using the #SWmeetup hashtag on social media. Please use this in all your communication on social media.

What's going to happen during the World Meetup Day?

Well, whatever YOU want Wink. But here are some practical things:

- To help people find the spot, we've created a 'Shapeways Meetup is Here' flyer for you. Download it here, print it out, and stick it to the door of your venue (don't forget to ask for permission!).

- When people arrive, introduce yourself and explain how the evening is going to work ('everybody buys their own drinks', for example).

- Not everyone who signs up for a meetup will actually show up. It would be very helpful if you could count the number of visitors and let us know afterwards.

Share your event with the world!

We'll be sharing your stories with the entire worldwide community throughout the entire day! During the event, please share stories, photographs and videos on Twitter (use hashtag #SWmeetup), or mail them to community@shapeways.com. We will collect them and repost everything on our Tumblr blog on http://shapeways.tumblr.com

Also, it would be grand if we could receive a short report of your evening after the event with a cool picture so we can write a blogpost about what happened everywhere.

Do you have any questions?

Let us know if you need help! Either leave a message here, or mail community@shapeways.com. We're here to help!

Anything else?

Oh yeah, before I forget: HAVE FUN!! I hope you'll meet some great people, learn interesting things and have an awesome evening.

Bart and Natalia

[Updated on: Tue, 26 February 2013 17:00 UTC]

Pages (2): [1  2    »] 

Previous Topic:Soliddoodle 3D 3rd generation
Next Topic:1:500 scale fighter jets

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.