Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » can't find inverted normals
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
can't find inverted normals [message #9697] Mon, 08 February 2010 07:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar dymihail  is currently offline dymihail
Go to all my models
deleted

[Updated on: Thu, 25 March 2010 20:30 UTC]

Re: can't find inverted normals [message #9699 is a reply to message #9697 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 07:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
First look :

You have some double faces, for example :

index.php?t=getfile&id=2587&private=0

On the left shows which part, on the right what's inside:
the striped poly's are double, two faces with different normals in the same place.

They are caused by different shells of which faces are on the exact same spot but oriented different.

You are also using a lot of multiple shells (my software counts 82 shells, this can cause all sort of problems.

Try making everything into one manifold shell, using boolean functions.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2010 07:56 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: can't find inverted normals [message #9705 is a reply to message #9699 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 13:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Model was done on commission for me because I'm not much of a 3d modeler. So while I have a vague understanding of what you said, I really don't know how to fix it. They were supposed to be done for rapid-prototyping. My normal print bureau would automatically fix them, but they need to be perfect for Shapeways. Thanks for the insight and I'll see if I can learn anything from it.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2010 13:45 UTC]

Re: can't find inverted normals [message #9919 is a reply to message #9705 ] Sat, 13 February 2010 14:14 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
VirtualV was kind and took care of this. He did a fantastic job on it. Thanks a ton.

Previous Topic:more manifold problems spread across many models
Next Topic:Custom Color Rounded Die

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.