Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes [message #8770] Wed, 06 January 2010 21:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar mutatron  is currently offline mutatron
Go to my shop
I see you've had something like this on your to-do list for quite a while, I think it's time to do it.

How can I be selling something for a 15% markup in one material that becomes a 1.5% markup in another material? No business does that.

Ideally, I would like to be able to set a separate markup for each material, but then have UI tools that would let me specify a percentage markup and a price break point. What I mean is, have the percentage markup be something like 12%, say, and then have a Javascript function to round up to the nearest 0.49 or 0.99.

For the UI, you could have a table with all the material in the left-most column, the base cost in the next column, the editable percentage markup in the next column, and so on and so forth.

Database-wise, if you have a separate record for each model, how hard could it be to add a markup column for each material? You could add two columns, one for people who want a percentage markup, and another for those who want absolute markups.

But if you only work in percentages, then you could also allow scaling. People could order your model in whatever scale they want, and the markup would adjust accordingly. Of course, some models would need restrictions on scaling.
Re: Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes [message #8796 is a reply to message #8770 ] Fri, 08 January 2010 05:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop
All of these features would be great.

I'd especially like to be able to set a percentage price increase, even if it is the same for all materials.
Re: Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes [message #9084 is a reply to message #8796 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 01:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Yes please. I've been yearning for variable markups since before metal came up.

Customer-settable scale is IIRC part of the original vision for the shops. I too wonder when we'll see it.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes [message #9097 is a reply to message #8770 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 13:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I can only imagine with customer scaling, how many emails shapeways will be sending out about models being too small. Unless what we put up is the minimum and they can scale up.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes [message #9314 is a reply to message #8770 ] Wed, 27 January 2010 21:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
Thanks for this input / explanation.

I am taking notes Wink

We are posting all new, implemented, features and functionality in the organizational announcements. So keep on eye on that. I will get back to you there.

Cheers Peter Paul

Re: Seriously, people should be able to set a different markup for different materials and sizes [message #9915 is a reply to message #9097 ] Sat, 13 February 2010 11:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
With a scalable model, the designer would need to specify min and max sizes, and the customer would be able to choose only within that range.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com

Previous Topic:social aspects
Next Topic:Multiple Shops Per User?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.