Home » Community » General Discussion » Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #158] Mon, 03 March 2008 15:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer?

Hi,

following up on some of the struggles I see with the X3D and Collada export, I'm looking to see which file-formats you would like us to support. For this, I'd need to know: which 3D app do you use and which file format would you prefer?

I'm mainly looking for generic, interchangeable file-formats here (such as, but not limited to: VRML, DXF, STL) and not so much proprietary, application-specific formats. I've added some common formats to the poll. If your favorite file-format is not there, please leave it in a comment below.

Thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #265 is a reply to message #158 ] Wed, 18 June 2008 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar J_sing  is currently offline J_sing
Go to my shop
With VRML make sure use use both 1 and 2 versions and OBJ is a worthwhile format
icon3.gif  Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #283 is a reply to message #158 ] Tue, 22 July 2008 11:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ItchySox  is currently offline ItchySox
Go to all my models
Hi All, this is my first post Cool I'm very pleased to be part of this beta, it's just the right time for such a service imho.

I'm evaluating modo at the moment and I'm enjoying it very much. Would you believe it, I find this service and a new RP tutorial for modo in the same month!

http://www.luxology.com/store/training_series12.aspx

modo supports lxo, x3d, dxf, fbx, plt, obj, psd.

Best of success with your service folks.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #284 is a reply to message #283 ] Tue, 22 July 2008 13:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Itchy,

The tutorial looks interesting, I'll take a look at it.

Joris
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #303 is a reply to message #158 ] Wed, 23 July 2008 20:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sovereign  is currently offline Sovereign
Go to all my models
I use Rhino 3D 4.0 and 3ds max (the former much preferred over the latter as I am really good with NURBS but I hate meshes). Rhino uses "3DM" and 3ds max uses "MAX."
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #338 is a reply to message #158 ] Fri, 25 July 2008 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EdZ  is currently offline EdZ
Go to all my models
I'm using (or intending to use) Solidworks, as it's the only 3d modelling package I'm remotely familiar with. Hopefully being a fully fledged 3d CAD package will help with design of actual objects.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #345 is a reply to message #158 ] Fri, 25 July 2008 13:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KsMason71  is currently offline KsMason71
Go to all my models
Solidworks. STL is the standard for most RP companies.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #369 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 26 July 2008 00:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jmlait  is currently offline jmlait
Go to all my models
Houdini, which can export to .obj and .dxf. .obj seems the simplest for raw polygons.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #370 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 26 July 2008 05:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Meats  is currently offline Meats
Go to all my models
The .obj format would be a great to support, as it is exportable and readable by most every 3d package, as well as a native format from Zbrush.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #417 is a reply to message #158 ] Tue, 29 July 2008 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crisrose  is currently offline crisrose
Go to my shop
Solidworks!! Very Happy

By far the best for technical/engineering work and no where near as irritating to learn and use as some programs i won't mention Wink
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #424 is a reply to message #417 ] Wed, 30 July 2008 11:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Spoors  is currently offline Spoors
Go to my shop
Hi,
I use Alibre Design Xpress 3D Solid Modeler ... as it's completely free and works like a charm.

I export my models to STL format.

Cheers,

Jeroen
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #433 is a reply to message #424 ] Wed, 30 July 2008 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sauli  is currently offline Sauli
Go to my shop
I use 3Ds Max 8, and it uses .max files.
But .3ds support would be cool also, that's what i can easily import my models to.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #515 is a reply to message #433 ] Sun, 03 August 2008 05:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wildsketch  is currently offline Wildsketch
Go to all my models
I use mostly 3DS Max and ZBrush.

3DS Max EXPORTS

OBJ
STL

and various others including VRML and I have a collada exporter that works with version 8, which I still have installed. Theoretically I should be covered.

I really don't expect you or anyone else to support the native max file.

ZBrush saves only its native format and exports only OBJ

OBJ really makes the most sense, it is right now the default de-facto cross platform 3D geometry file. Everyone uses it and tools for working with it in programs abound.

If I could have my choice for a program to export print-ready models from, it would be 3DS Max.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #629 is a reply to message #515 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 16:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mgix  is currently offline mgix
Go to all my models

Please support OBJ
It's compatible with every 3D app out there.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #630 is a reply to message #515 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 16:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ian  is currently offline Ian
Go to all my models
Wildsketch wrote on Sun, 03 August 2008 01:53

I use mostly 3DS Max and ZBrush.

3DS Max EXPORTS

OBJ
STL

and various others including VRML and I have a collada exporter that works with version 8, which I still have installed. Theoretically I should be covered.

I really don't expect you or anyone else to support the native max file.

ZBrush saves only its native format and exports only OBJ

OBJ really makes the most sense, it is right now the default de-facto cross platform 3D geometry file. Everyone uses it and tools for working with it in programs abound.

If I could have my choice for a program to export print-ready models from, it would be 3DS Max.

Same here. Couldn't have said it better.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #640 is a reply to message #158 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 20:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nimpsy  is currently offline nimpsy
Go to all my models
I use Cinema4d. I would love to be able to upload .obj as there seems to be issues with the .stl output. Thanks. Smile

J++
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #665 is a reply to message #158 ] Wed, 06 August 2008 15:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bakkendance  is currently offline Bakkendance
Go to all my models
I use a combination of Blender and Wings 3D. Wings to create a basic model and Blender to finish and detail it. I use .obj format to go between them so I agree that .obj support would be great.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #717 is a reply to message #158 ] Thu, 07 August 2008 23:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AquaticPenguin  is currently offline AquaticPenguin
Go to all my models
I use Blender for modeling - I find blender's workflow very fast and fluent and overall very fast and easy to use. As for format's I used .dae as it was the only one that seemed to work. I also think it would be nice to see .obj format supported - it's one of the most familiar and popular formats around.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #719 is a reply to message #717 ] Thu, 07 August 2008 23:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wildsketch  is currently offline Wildsketch
Go to all my models
Well, I'm glad to see that there seems to be a general agreement about obj as the file format. I'd like to add that since it is the format that we are all using to go between our different 3D programs already it would be a good format to encourage people to upload and make available to others, so that they could download, objects created by others, learn from them, incorporate into their own designs or improve upon and re-upload to the community.

Web viewers have also made use of the obj format since 1996. I have a book published that year, called "Hooked on Java" which includes a wire frame viewer applet on page 88. This applet, written by Arthur van Hoff, of Sun Microsystems. He says that he chose to use the obj format because it was such a simple format that you could create objects with a text editor. I believe that the applet and source code are on the CD that came with the book.
If web viewers for the obj format go back that far I have no doubt that your developers will find this a very convenient format with which they can do many things.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #733 is a reply to message #719 ] Fri, 08 August 2008 01:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
I use Blender, so whatever format that Blender can output easily is fine Cool
I only used .stl for shapeways, if I double check my normals it is accepted 100%.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #780 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 07:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Christel  is currently offline Christel
Go to all my models
My vote goes to obj as well. It's really the most obvious format to use, since basically every 3D app supports it.

While objs can get bulky, they rarely exceed the 64 mb limit. That goes even for the sometimes very complex fractal meshes that I like to work with.

Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #782 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 08:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
I use Alibre Design Xpress. It exports: SAT, STEP, IGES, STL. I use STEP file for the design data, but STL file for 3D printing.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #786 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 16:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jongold  is currently offline jongold
Go to my shop
Once blender supports real measurements (2.50, I think), I would like to see .blend files directly supported. But until then it doesn't make much sense.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #801 is a reply to message #158 ] Sun, 10 August 2008 20:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar drago3711  is currently offline drago3711
Go to all my models
I use Blender3d, 3dsMax, and Lightwave (( but I'm primarily a blender head Grin ))

I agree that the obj format would probably be best. Its simple and since there is no need to export animations or anything like that, I think its a winner. I've had issues come up with .3ds when exporting from blender, but I still think its a good option.

whatever formats are chosen this is still going to be a good venture. Very Happy
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #890 is a reply to message #417 ] Thu, 14 August 2008 15:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenpb  is currently offline svenpb
Go to all my models
crisrose wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:31

Solidworks!! Very Happy

By far the best for technical/engineering work and no where near as irritating to learn and use as some programs i won't mention Wink

Whatever program you use is the best. I think it sucks. Razz

STEP203 is a pretty general exchange format in my environment

IGES also is a format that is pretty much omnipresent and not effected by time

[Updated on: Thu, 21 August 2008 12:19 UTC]

Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #893 is a reply to message #158 ] Thu, 14 August 2008 17:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RaistlinMaje  is currently offline RaistlinMaje
Go to all my models
I use Autodesk inventor right now which uses a few different file types depending on what you are doing, mostly they are .IPT

I also like Solidworks which I used in school but do not currently have.

For more organic/non-mechanical modelling I use Maya
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #929 is a reply to message #158 ] Sun, 17 August 2008 22:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Hellwerx  is currently offline Hellwerx
Go to all my models
I normally use Poser 7 Pro for most of the rendering of my projects. Along with Poser, my modeling program of choice is Hexagon and texture and post-work is usually in Photoshop.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #982 is a reply to message #929 ] Fri, 22 August 2008 14:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kharum  is currently offline Kharum
Go to my shop
I use Hexagon 2 for modeling and export to obj.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #1075 is a reply to message #982 ] Wed, 27 August 2008 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ashworth  is currently offline Ashworth
Go to all my models
I use Blender(it's free, and mad powerfull), OBJ. would prolly be the best format, as it is supported by a wide range of software, so people doing cross platform/cross software in their dev chains will be happy, also it is the most community friendly and most programs will even trigulate on export for OBJ. though if you have an alternate way of traigulating I recommend not doing it on export in case you need to fix some triangles(I model in quads so this is often the case with anything I make triangulated).
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #3763 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 04 April 2009 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kitty  is currently offline Kitty
Go to my shop
i don't think more formats are realy necessary, since most of the checking for bed edges etc is done on .stl files anyway and even in their original formats lots of programms leave you with bad edges and flipped surfaces and what not after boolean subtractions or unions that only become visible in .stl format.
An object that Rhino considers watertight isn't necessarily watertight. and the same goes for 3DS Max.
I haven't tested Maya (.ma) format yet, but Lightwave Objects usualy aren't watertight anymore after a boolean function has been performed.
(But then LightWave is CGI software, not real 3D modeling software)

[Updated on: Sat, 04 April 2009 22:48 UTC]

Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #3951 is a reply to message #3763 ] Fri, 17 April 2009 16:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar oopsclunkthud  is currently offline oopsclunkthud
Go to my shop
I'm using Ashlar Argon and do most of the modeling as solids and then export as .stl

So far this has been almost flawless.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #4064 is a reply to message #3951 ] Sun, 26 April 2009 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coines23  is currently offline coines23
Go to my shop
I'm using Lightwave for modeling, and I'm perfectly comfortable with STL files.

Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #4226 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 02 May 2009 11:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gunslinger  is currently offline Gunslinger
Go to my shop
I use wings3d. Obj would be great. I currently export to wrml and it works, but is not that great (the automatic renders look like crap for some reason).
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #4232 is a reply to message #158 ] Sat, 02 May 2009 21:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar alessino  is currently offline alessino
Go to my shop
Blender, posting x3d files. Everything works well.
Re: Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer? [message #4256 is a reply to message #158 ] Tue, 05 May 2009 07:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Anvariel  is currently offline Anvariel
Go to my shop
I use Blender and ZBrush so obviously the obj format would be the most suited for me. It really is the most supported format out there today. At least for art-like modelling purposes, I don't know what the CAD-world uses.

Previous Topic:User Profile Suggestion
Next Topic:Google sketchup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.