Home »  » Shapeways Shops » Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2382 is a reply to message #2380 ] Tue, 06 January 2009 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Joris,

I have tried many man jpg's throughout the past couple of weeks Smile

-the original
-a scaled down original to match the pixel size of the shapeways banner
-a few random textures and pictures from my computer
-then I downloaded the shapeways banner and tried it
-then I renamed the shapeways banner and tried it

Failed everytime... *pout*

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2387 is a reply to message #2382 ] Wed, 07 January 2009 10:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Whystler,

If you could send the offending JPG to me I'll take a look at it.

Joris
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2389 is a reply to message #2269 ] Wed, 07 January 2009 20:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
Don't worry Whystler, you are not alone.
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2395 is a reply to message #2269 ] Thu, 08 January 2009 06:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
VIII. I think there's a problem with escaping special characters in the description field. Entering ' is doubled to ''. After each save the number of ' is increased.

? Maybe I've missed that, but how can the picture of an item be changed from the default to an uploaded?

IX. Personalized discounts would be great or discounts for larger orders which are reducing the markup.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 10:08 UTC]

Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2399 is a reply to message #2269 ] Thu, 08 January 2009 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would like to see a difference between an artist's Shapeways Gallery, and a Shapeways shop.

Most Important Difference 1: products shown

In my gallery, I would like to see everything - things that are for sale as well as things that are not for sale but can be seen by others, and things that only I can see.

In my shop, I would only like to see things that others can buy.

Most Important Difference 2: banner visibility

Also, I would like to see a bigger or longer banner at the top of my page. The smaller banner to the side gives very little impact. A longer banner across the top would really show people that they are now in a store.

Here is an example of my shop page on Etsy. The page looks like an Etsy page, but you know you are in my shop, because of the banner across the top:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6554791

Important Difference: impulse product info

I think, on shop pages, the info given on the thumbnail should be geared towards buying. Get rid of the date submitted in the shop listing, and replace this with the product price (ie. from $50.00). When people are shopping, especially on shapeways, I think part of the first decision they make will be based on price.

Because of the high price of some items, people may not realize that certain kinds of products can be very reasonable. So let's not make them guess that my notcturnal timepiece is $40, when it's actually around $15.

Least Important Difference: more cosmetic control for seller

Ok, so maybe my suggestion of a "myspace" page made you cringe, like it did Joris Wink But maybe one day it would be nice to be able to change the background/text colour schemes?

And ... YAY, I have a banner now! Smile Thankyou!

-Whystler

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 16:37 UTC]

Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2404 is a reply to message #2399 ] Thu, 08 January 2009 18:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think by simply allowing limited html in the store description section, and by making that section more prominent (like under the large banner Whystler suggested) we'd immediately have more control over the look and feel of our store.
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2407 is a reply to message #2269 ] Thu, 08 January 2009 20:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
Hand in the air for a banner and html too... I'd like to be able to embed video if possible or at least embed links

BTW loving having the shops open Very Happy Well done guys
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2412 is a reply to message #2269 ] Fri, 09 January 2009 12:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
Just a thought...(I think I was on daddymack's shop perusing a large/expensive piece)... that with the current fix priced mark-up.... An inquisitive buyer could reverse calculate that mark-up by selecting different materials and looking at the price for each.

A fixed percentage mark-up will eliminate this "issue", would that be a good idea?

I'm just thinking of the case of a $3000 item that someone was ready and willing to buy...only to figure out its $2500 markup then changes his mind about the purchase. If he/she was willing to buy on the $3000 price, its in the shapeways/shop owner's best interest to avoid having anything that could change the buyer's mind right?

(No I wasn't about to buy that $3000 bowl, nor was I bored enough to figure out that markup on it!)
icon4.gif  Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2423 is a reply to message #2399 ] Sat, 10 January 2009 13:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Quote:

Important Difference: impulse product info

I think, on shop pages, the info given on the thumbnail should be geared towards buying. Get rid of the date submitted in the shop listing, and replace this with the product price (ie. from $50.00). When people are shopping, especially on shapeways, I think part of the first decision they make will be based on price.

So true. Most of a buying decision is the price, and the more clicks people have to make to see that, the less they buy. If only one piece of information is shown it should be price. If two, price and dimensions.

Prices also remind people that they're here to shop: this is a store not a museum, and the correct behavior is to find something you like and can afford and buy it, not wander around indefinitely critiquing the models.

Art appreciation is a fun hobby, but the job of a store is to sell. People can enjoy the art after they buy some.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2424 is a reply to message #2423 ] Sat, 10 January 2009 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Quote:

Art appreciation is a fun hobby, but the job of a store is to sell. People can enjoy the art after they buy some.

I fully agree ....

Andreas
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2425 is a reply to message #2269 ] Sat, 10 January 2009 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think that the 'by date' option is a great idea as it simply lists the latest creations... I think that a by price option would work well too though

Having the price info and possibly a comment in the thumb would also work for me

Madox, I agree about the percentage markup option making things less reverse engineerable eg my Ultra Bowl
http://www.shapeways.com/model/13074/ultra_bowl__sixties_ser ies_1.html

appears as $120.95 in WSF (2 bucks a cube) , $164.44 in black detail (3 bucks a cube), difference of around 45 bucks (roughly the number of cubic cm)... Pretty easy to figure that I added about 40 bucks to the price

A percentage would totally eliminate this little back door into the business end of the shops

Umm... I think that it's the people who come and appreciate the art here that will end up buying it. This market barely exists at the moment and as an audience opens up to it they will want more than just 'price' as a reason to purchase.

This is such a great thread guys:D it's awesome to see everyones different approach to this emerging market
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2428 is a reply to message #2269 ] Sun, 11 January 2009 04:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Zorink  is currently offline Zorink
Go to my shop
How far do IP rights go? If I were to model something on my own but base it on a preexisting model (like modeling something from a game or movie) is that allowed in a shop?
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2431 is a reply to message #2269 ] Sun, 11 January 2009 13:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm currently updating some of my creations.

There's already an ongoing discussion about an upload of a new version, also in another part of the forum.

From the shop point of view and from the experiences of the last days i come to the conclusion that this is essential.

- As product designer I don't want to loose ratings or views when doing some corrections. These are an important mean for checking the interests of possible buyers
- I also don't want to loose references to this item I have put into other forums before.
- On the other hand possible buyers of former versions should also be aware that the item has changed.
(From the IT point of view that can mean versioning)

Andreas
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2435 is a reply to message #2428 ] Sun, 11 January 2009 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
re: IP rights ...

If you are repesenting a character from a game, in such a way that it is recognisable visibly as that character -OR- in such a way that it refers to that character's name, even if it doesn't refer to the character, you are unwise to make it, and especially unwise to offer it for sale.

A copyright of a game, includes retaining the rights for its characters, recognisable character forms, as well as the character names. Essentially the characters are a trademark of the game/game company. Even if the character is not officially trademarked, they can be argued to represent the game, which is very likely protected in this way.

Now, if you are inspired by the little elf called Link, and you want to make a sword carrying, flute playing elf, nothing should stop you from doing or selling this, as long as the character doesn't look like Link, or called Link.

For more information about how close people should come to such things as trademarked characters, do a search on trademarking.

Hope this helps!

-Whystler

Pricing on thumbnails [message #2466 is a reply to message #2425 ] Wed, 14 January 2009 02:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I edited the titles of all my stuff to show prices. Let's see if it helps!

-Bathsheba
Re: Pricing on thumbnails [message #2467 is a reply to message #2466 ] Wed, 14 January 2009 03:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Looks great from my side of the screen... A good idea
Re: Pricing on thumbnails [message #2468 is a reply to message #2466 ] Wed, 14 January 2009 10:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Bathsheba,

We're looking at how we can display prices and specifically at replacing the upload date with the price, but your "hack" seems to work also.

Joris
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2697 is a reply to message #2269 ] Tue, 27 January 2009 08:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wisc  is currently offline wisc
Go to all my models
Dear Shapeways Shopkeepers, dear Joris,

Great, you realised this platform in The Netherlands!

What I really miss on your site is filtering/ordering by price.
Suppose I am looking for a gift for a friend, I have a certain amount of money in mind (EUR 10 - EUR 20 e.g.). In the way the Shop is organised right now, you have to zap through all the models, which is very time-consuming.

Is there a possibility to realize this filtering/ordering?
Thanks!

Hans
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2702 is a reply to message #2697 ] Tue, 27 January 2009 10:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Wisc,

we're currently looking at filtering and site search and trying to evaluate the different options.

One option would be to make "categories' of models:

all models with flowers in them
all gifts between 10-20 Euros
all valentines gifts for women between 20-30

the other would be to come up with just a filtering mechanism based on price.

The issue is not what would work right now, but what would work if we have many more models. How do you determine which model comes first when someone searches for a query such as Ring?

The number of votes, how recent it is? What would be fair, what would be the best for the shopper?

I myself am a fan of "categories" so that each member and groups of members can produce their own collections of models.

I do however realise that we will have to improve site search as well.
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2704 is a reply to message #2702 ] Tue, 27 January 2009 10:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Dear Joris.

Thanks for your reaction!

Of the three options you provide the first and the last one are far too specific! My own choice would be: all gifts between 0-10, 10-20, 20 <x<50 etc (your second option).

When I buy a gift for someone my first filtering is regarding price. Within that price-range I pick a specific object. e.g. by using the tags designers themselves attribute to their object. But a price-range is definitely recommandable.

This system is what most webshops do, apart from a filtering/sorting by category.

All the best!

Hans
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2711 is a reply to message #2704 ] Tue, 27 January 2009 12:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hans,

Yes, I do agree that this is the way a lot of people shop.

We tend to always go for functionality, "what is best for the user."

But, in this case there is more of a Shapeways "philosophy" angle to it as well.

We really want to inspire people and more of a "browsing" approach would seem to be more in line with that.
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2724 is a reply to message #2711 ] Wed, 28 January 2009 06:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I suggest no more categories now. In the future, when there are hundreds of frequently-ordered items on the site, it will be possible to say what useful categories would be. Now it's too hard to tell. Also, we already have both an existing set of categories (what is the difference between "Art" and "Sculpture"? what is "Default"?) and the ability to search by tag. If those aren't working well, is adding another layer here going to help?

But -- Confused -- people are not complaining about not being able to search for flowers or holiday-specific gifts. They are complaining about not being able to search by price.

Please, just implement a price filter: show me models from $X to $Y. Don't overthink this. We need this feature now -- don't delay it indefinitely while you try to guess what other features might possibly be needed in the future!

-Bathsheba
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2725 is a reply to message #2724 ] Wed, 28 January 2009 06:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Bathsheba wrote on Wed, 28 January 2009 06:46

I suggest no more categories now. In the future, when there are hundreds of frequently-ordered items on the site, it will be possible to say what useful categories would be. Now it's too hard to tell. Also, we already have both an existing set of categories (what is the difference between "Art" and "Sculpture"? what is "Default"?) and the ability to search by tag. If those aren't working well, is adding another layer here going to help?

But -- Confused -- people are not complaining about not being able to search for flowers or holiday-specific gifts. They are complaining about not being able to search by price.

Please, just implement a price filter: show me models from $X to $Y. Don't overthink this. We need this feature now -- don't delay it indefinitely while you try to guess what other features might possibly be needed in the future!

Hear, hear!
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2726 is a reply to message #2725 ] Wed, 28 January 2009 09:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok guys, point well taken.

I'll ask development, when and how we can do this.

Meanwhile lets check how many people agree with you guys: http://www.shapeways.com/poll
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2731 is a reply to message #2726 ] Wed, 28 January 2009 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think what Joris is saying re: categories is important. It's a point I made/agreed on a long time ago.

The Browsing Concept

Browsing categories allows buyers to "window shop". A search engine does not.

When you think hard about it ... does anyone think they really *need* what we are producing here?

"I think I'll pop over to shapeways because I really do need to have a Nubilefirdinohedron in my house"

So, what are they going to search for? Browsing categories allows us to suggest to users what they might want.

"Hmm, I wonder what will happen if I click on this sculptural mathematics category ... Wow! I'd never seen a Nubilefirdinohedron before. I want one *click*".

Seller Custom Categories

At the moment, most producers here do not have expansive lists of products. But I think I'm already starting to notice my list is getting too long.

I would like to be able to guide buyers into certain directions, rather than have them hit with only my latest produced items, or whatever is at one end of a pricing scale, rating scale, alphabet scale, etc...

If I can set my own custom categories, and am able to attach as many of these categories to each product as is reasonable, then I think the buying and selling experience will be optimized.

Examples

I could set a steampunk gadgetry category for all the funky functionals I make.

I could set a cool characters category for any neat little toy figurines I have.

I could set a "SHOWCASE" category to put all the items that I feel are new, and nifty, and not getting enough attention from my buyers.

I could set a "under $10" category ... or a "$10-$20" category to highlight things that are especialy afffordable. For that matter, I could make a "Impulse Add-ons" category for those little under $3 items that help people reach the $25 buying goal.

Ultimate Control Provides Little Results

As an artist, I know that I make the best things when I have some sort of restriction that helps me to focus my intent. Each medium presents its own restriction. If I were faced with mind able to manifest anything from nothing and an empty void, I wouldn't know where to start.

So too with buyers who are faced with an empty search field.

I think allowing folks to search for price ranges is good, yes ... but please don't let it overshadow the importance of custom categories.

-Whystler

[Updated on: Wed, 28 January 2009 19:51 UTC]

Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #2735 is a reply to message #2731 ] Wed, 28 January 2009 22:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If we are able to create our own sub-categories, you could make categories like "$25 and under" and "$25-50" and place the appropriate models in them.

A site-wide price search would be nice, too.
Charged for one's own markup? [message #8995 is a reply to message #2376 ] Fri, 15 January 2010 20:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chronopsis2  is currently offline chronopsis2
Go to my shop
woody64 wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 16:57

VI. When ordering my own items my own "markup" is also included in the price of the order?

-Has there been an answer to this issue yet?
Re: Shapeways Shops 8th of January 2009 [message #9627 is a reply to message #2269 ] Fri, 05 February 2010 20:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
on the top of my shop wish-list

1. sell items in sets, especially since we hav the $25 dollar limit, it makes sense to have a set of smaller objects that reach this limit.

2. embeddable shop/model preview for other websites

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:My objects gone "not for sale"
Next Topic:social aspects

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.