Home » Support » 3D Design » Can this be 3d printed successfully?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can this be 3d printed successfully? [message #94121] Thu, 17 July 2014 09:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar MayCrown  is currently offline MayCrown
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=65239&private=0
Hi shapies,

I have some thin walls caution on my car cufflink model, especially on the side mirrors.

My car model is 2.4 centimeters long.

I don't want to enlarge the side mirrors because they would look ridiculous.

What's the likelihood of my model to be printed successfully? Would the side mirrors break?

Can you guys working at shapeways check my model manually? I'm gonna order a pack of my models very soon. But this model I'm working on for 2 weeks is especially important.

Best regards,

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2014 09:34 UTC]

If chance will have me King, why, chance may crown me without my stir.
Re: Can this be 3d printed successfully? [message #94125 is a reply to message #94121 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 09:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HOLDEN8702  is currently offline HOLDEN8702
Go to my shop
Hi.

In my experience, you have to ignore sharp edges issues as in the mudguard.

But the side mirror go be rejected without any doubt.

My advice is you can add material below and in the rear of it. When you have the model printed, probably you don't see it so ugly.

It's a very small part. I have some small cars in my catalog, and all of them have side mirrors, even in Z scale. Trust me.

Shapeways "terminators" manual checking team only works on ordered models. But when a model is rejected, they told you where is the issue.

Regards

Luis
Re: Can this be 3d printed successfully? [message #94129 is a reply to message #94125 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 11:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Wouldn't the side mirrors be a bit impractical on cufflinks anyway, tearing on the jacket cuff and in danger of being broken off ?
Re: Can this be 3d printed successfully? [message #94132 is a reply to message #94129 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 11:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MayCrown  is currently offline MayCrown
Go to my shop
mkroeker wrote on Thu, 17 July 2014 11:07

Wouldn't the side mirrors be a bit impractical on cufflinks anyway, tearing on the jacket cuff and in danger of being broken off ?

nope, they're like 0.4 mm and on the front of cufflink, it doesn't pass thru the shirt's cuff hole.

If chance will have me King, why, chance may crown me without my stir.
Re: Can this be 3d printed successfully? [message #94133 is a reply to message #94132 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 12:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
At only 0.4 mm - is that really correct? - they are an "embossed detail" that the thin walls check does not know how to handle. (And at that size you could probably get away with less detail, just a small rectangular protrusion would probably do unless your customer is into watchmaking or microscopy)
Re: Can this be 3d printed successfully? [message #94695 is a reply to message #94133 ] Fri, 25 July 2014 01:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
The mirrors are -> walls -> must be 0.8 and for polished bump it to 1mm , the part of the wheel will pass the control.

numarul7 jewelry and design

Previous Topic:Best way to apply vibrant colors to Full Color Sandstone
Next Topic:aeroplane shape - Can i print a model with solid wings and a hollow body?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.