Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Painting
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Painting [message #299] Wed, 23 July 2008 19:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sovereign  is currently offline Sovereign
Go to all my models
I've been somewhat of a hobbyist with model kits (WW2-era battleships, mainly). I'm not sure how these materials compare to the ones found in said model kits, but there is one thing that I would like to know.

Is it possible to paint any of the materials you offer without causing corrosion, melting or deformation from any chemicals in the paint? Also, is there any reason why I cannot use model glue to hold parts together (say, if I want a really big model larger than what you can print at once so I order it in pieces)?
Re: Painting [message #312 is a reply to message #299 ] Thu, 24 July 2008 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Sovereign,

The materials used are comparable to those found in model kits.

Our Cream Robust material is a polycarbonate and this material is widely used in the modeling world. Because of the printing process used with that material though you will have some texture on it in the form of lines however.

Our White, Strong and Flexible material might be better suited because it is smoother and is suitable for higher levels of detail.

As for the painting and glueing, yes this is possible. There are lots of different kinds of glues and paints though and suitability would depend on the combination of glue/paint and the material.

To answer your question properly we would have to go into a lot of detail for here. Because of this I will get together with some of the production guys and we will write a longer post on the blog explaining some of your choices on monday. I'm sorry that you will have to wait until then for your answer.
Re: Painting [message #448 is a reply to message #312 ] Fri, 01 August 2008 02:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nicholascaldwell  is currently offline nicholascaldwell
Go to my shop
I'd love to see this, too. Specifically, I'd like to know what material to use to make vehicles and figures for tabletop wargaming (Games Workshop Warhammer series, Ground Zero Games starships, etc).

How small can you go with detail for instance? For insance, if a humanoid model is only 32mm high what options are available?
Re: Painting [message #945 is a reply to message #448 ] Tue, 19 August 2008 12:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Hellwerx  is currently offline Hellwerx
Go to all my models
I looked in the blog and haven't seen anything regarding painting and finished the models as yet. Any idea the time frame for the blog entry?
Re: Painting [message #990 is a reply to message #945 ] Fri, 22 August 2008 20:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Wildsketch  is currently offline Wildsketch
Go to all my models
Well everyone will have just returned from Siggraph, so give them some time.

Frankly, I thing what we need is not so much a blog entry about finishing models, but a discussion area and wiki devoted to it. There are apparently a lot of users here who have some experience with this, and interaction between such knowledgeable people is almost always going to be more informative than a few hints, tips and recipes from the staff members who can spare the time.

Previous Topic:Displacement Maps and textures
Next Topic:Hinge Printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.