Home »  » 3D Printing » Printing a house
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing a house [message #874] Wed, 13 August 2008 18:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar mazmwa  is currently offline mazmwa
Go to all my models
Hello,

I`m a 3D building modeler, I make houses.
My question is can I print building models here?
And if it is possible can I scale the model then, beceaus a house is big Razz
Lets say scale 1:100, shoult that be possible?

Gr Maz

Fryslán, The Netherlands | present
Re: Printing a house [message #876 is a reply to message #874 ] Wed, 13 August 2008 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
HI Maz,

our printers can currently handle models of roughly 40x40x40cm, so I think you should be able to print a 1:100 scale model, yes. (Then again, houses in the Netherlands aren't that big Wink

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Printing a house [message #899 is a reply to message #874 ] Thu, 14 August 2008 23:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sid  is currently offline sid
Go to all my models
I'd be impressed!

I once had the opportunity to have ONE FREE PRINT (max size 30x30x30)
That was a startup bonus of a prototyping company near...
(long time ago)

Well I just had a house "laying around" and I thought I'd be fun to give this as a present to the inhabitants ...

So I decided to export that as an stl.
And what do you guess...
It was full of open vertices an nonmanifold edges.

eight weeks later (the real house had it's roof already)
I was still reducing open vertices...

After another four weeks, the real house was almost done, I still had something like 20000 errors to cope with. That's where I quit.

Now: the company has already closed it's service, I still have that coupon for a free print Very Happy

If you want to print a house,
maybe you should better print all it's walls seperately and glue 'em.
Good luck though!

'sid
Re: Printing a house [message #914 is a reply to message #874 ] Fri, 15 August 2008 23:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
It should only depend on how big the model is, along with being manifold without open verts(as stated).
Really it should not be much of a problem if the program you use to export/create the file makes it a "Clean" model(free of errors)
Re: Printing a house [message #917 is a reply to message #914 ] Sat, 16 August 2008 05:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
It also makes a *huge* difference if you're just trying to use a model that you have made earlier for visualization purposes, or if you're designing from the ground up for 3d printing. If you build the model by using extrusion tools only, for example, you can hardly go wrong.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Printing a house [message #931 is a reply to message #874 ] Mon, 18 August 2008 10:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sid  is currently offline sid
Go to all my models
Well you cannot build a house just by extruding.
There are lots and lots of boolean steps in between, doors, windows, windowsills and so on.

And personally I've tried with lots of different programs to end up with a solid model.

See, most programs to create houses are not for making small prints, but for making plans to actually build the house.
That means 5shells for an outer wall.
5 to 6 for a window.

It'll be almost impossible to use some of those cad models you have using Auto or Archicad, it get's worse if you have a simplestep builder like ArCon. great for fast visualisation but uhhh don't try to check the stl for errors your pc will lock up Very Happy
(300 error just in one doorhandle!)

Building a model for printing is just too different from building one for visualisation.

single walls maybe with patience, complete houses... I don't think so Wink

'sid

And then there is the polyLimit of 500k polygons...
that's not even close to what is needed to build a house

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2008 10:38 UTC]

Re: Printing a house [message #955 is a reply to message #931 ] Thu, 21 August 2008 00:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Hieron  is currently offline Hieron
Go to all my models
sid wrote on Mon, 18 August 2008 06:34

(300 error just in one doorhandle!)

Building a model for printing is just too different from building one for visualisation.

single walls maybe with patience, complete houses... I don't think so Wink

'sid

And then there is the polyLimit of 500k polygons...
that's not even close to what is needed to build a house

Don't want to sound rude here (I am the errormeister), but 300 errors in 1 doorhandle is just "bad" modelling. One may get away with that for visualisations, but it still is bad modeling practice. If you pay attention to it while modelling it should be fine with minimal errors throughout the entire model with minimal effort. But as Bart says, it matters if you make it with this in mind. "fixing" a model you didn't really take notice of this may be a pain yes.

Also, 500k poly's is eaaaaaasily enough for a house. Unless you do the carpet and the flowers too.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 August 2008 11:25 UTC]

Re: Printing a house [message #958 is a reply to message #874 ] Thu, 21 August 2008 09:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mazmwa  is currently offline mazmwa
Go to all my models
Tanx for all your replies.
And sorry for my late reply Embarassed

I tink I now first enough.

Keep the topic open please so people can reply!

Fryslán, The Netherlands | present

Previous Topic:Model cannot be validated?
Next Topic:Displacement Maps and textures

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.