Home » Community » It arrived! » Mecha & Kaiju miniatures - first print!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mecha & Kaiju miniatures - first print! [message #92494] Sun, 22 June 2014 04:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
So, these are my first ever 3D prints; prototypes for a game I have been working on for about 4 years now (well, 3 years, I dropped my workload on the project to little more than back burner to write my first novel. I know... FOCUS!) Anyway, I started designing a giant robot versus giant monster game all those years ago before the word "kaiju" was at all familiar to the West, but I suppose that's my well known category now.

These images show the progress thus far from illustration (done by myself), to 3D model (created by the incredibly talented Clint MacLean - whom I met on the forums here), and now the 3D printed prototypes. They were a bit tricky to photograph since they are printed in FUD, but I will airbrush them for better photography and take another set.

Our "hero" here is Prolius, a 200-meter walking can of destruction built to help save humanity from the monstrous enemy:
index.php?t=getfile&id=62919&private=0
As you can see, the sword broke during shipping (one of my fears with the models for the game, actually). Mounted on a 2" plastic base, I feel that the print should be about 10% larger. It impressed me that Clint made this thing so well that it can stand flat footed and solidly.

The first kaiju in the game is Ol'Ghash, a loathsome visage of death composed of bones, claws, and sinew... about 150 meters of it:
index.php?t=getfile&id=62920&private=0
The biology makes this one even harder to see, but I would draw your attention to the TEETH; sharp as needles! Still, I would buff up the thighs a tad and shrink the whole model about 20% to keep the scale consistent and fit the feet snugly on a 2" base plate. This model was a little twisted on arrival, but I'm not sure if it was packaging, heat, or both. Still, glued down, it stands just fine.

The final image shows the two models standing over a quarter to give you a sense of scale:
index.php?t=getfile&id=62922&private=0
For a sense of cost, Prolius ran about $16 and Ol'Ghash ran about $17.

I want to try adjusting the size of the models and then printing them out in Strong & Flexible, perhaps in a color that is easier to photograph. For production models, I will probably look at resin or spin-casting as a solution, so this run is mostly for scale. I didn't notice a way to alter the size of a print online... do I have to adjust the model size in my program, re-save it, and then re-submit it?

]\/[

Re: Mecha & Kaiju miniatures - first print! [message #92497 is a reply to message #92494 ] Sun, 22 June 2014 06:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HOLDEN8702  is currently offline HOLDEN8702
Go to my shop
Hi, Maethius.

Nice work!

I like the mecha-nippon look of the robot, but the bio-technology of the three legged spider is fantastic! Design superb.

I can't imagine how this "ugly" walks or run, but sure it can do it in every direction.

Only you can change the size between milimeters-inches-meters units, but this isn't what you need. It has to be done before uploading with yor software.

Best regards

Luis
Re: Mecha & Kaiju miniatures - first print! [message #92550 is a reply to message #92497 ] Mon, 23 June 2014 03:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tresob  is currently offline Tresob
Go to my shop
Those look really cool! The mecha has an impressively Z.O.E. look to it.
Re: Mecha & Kaiju miniatures - first print! [message #92592 is a reply to message #92494 ] Mon, 23 June 2014 16:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
@HOLDEN8702 - Thank you! I do like how the 'bot turned out (though my wife said she would really prefer it if the gun and sword switched hands) but the monster is my fave of the two. Yes, it can skitter pretty much any way it wants to, but that front arc is where it keeps the pain!

@Tresob - Thanks much! I have a more difficult time with mechs and machines than with organic beasties, and I wanted a look that could stand apart from other series while maintaining that Japanese influence. It's a tall order with so many mecha out there! I have to admit to hiring a toy designer for 10 additional robots but I've drawn up a series of some 35 monsters for the game thus far.

These two were chosen as the "poster children" of the core game not only because their aesthetic sets the tone, but it just so happens that they are perfect equals in the game, point-wise.

*EDIT!*

I just wanted to throw a name, here. Clint has done a fantastic job with the conversion of my drawings and I really recommend him. He is fast and flexible, but he's also detailed and won't bend where he needs to be firm (give him the flexibility to respect the materials and process of your final print, and he will respect the level of detail you want and the level of structure that you need).

If you would like to hire him, he has informed me that he is open to doing some side contract work:

Clint MacLean
maximusin3d@gmail.com

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2014 22:01 UTC]

Previous Topic:CROSSROADS by Inspired By Architecture
Next Topic:I don't always Meme 3D Print.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.