Home » Support » 3D Design » Hollow Tube on in STL Viewer. Two ends became enclosed after uploading
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow Tube on in STL Viewer. Two ends became enclosed after uploading [message #92371] Fri, 20 June 2014 07:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar ronnie_hybrionic  is currently offline ronnie_hybrionic
Go to my shop
Hello,
I have a problem viewing my file after uploading. I designed it on AutoCAD 3D to have hollow tubes. After uploading to Shapeways, became enclosed on each end and I can't see it hollow. I already downloaded netfabb basic and other STL viewer, there I can see it hollow. The only problem is after uploading, I can't see it being hollow.

Thanks all for the help.. :)
index.php?t=getfile&id=62754&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=62755&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=62756&private=0

• Attachment: view 1.png
    (Size: 77.44KB, Downloaded 92 time(s))

• Attachment: view 2.png
    (Size: 47.47KB, Downloaded 93 time(s))

• Attachment: ACAD View.png
    (Size: 96.04KB, Downloaded 88 time(s))

Re: Hollow Tube on in STL Viewer. Two ends became enclosed after uploading [message #92372 is a reply to message #92371 ] Fri, 20 June 2014 08:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Looks like this is caused by the open edges in your model (the yellow lines)
index.php?t=getfile&id=62757&private=0

Try to make sure these open edges are fixed before uploading.
Unfortunately our upload process "fixed" your open edges by closing them

• Attachment: Pic1.JPG
    (Size: 295.64KB, Downloaded 82 time(s))

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Hollow Tube on in STL Viewer. Two ends became enclosed after uploading [message #92373 is a reply to message #92372 ] Fri, 20 June 2014 08:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi. Thanks for the help. I am actually not so expert and I have just started on designing 3D. What do you mean by fixing open edges? Does that mean that the surfaces of these two are not joined together?
And did the upload process fixed it by filling in the gap in between these two surfaces?

Re: Hollow Tube on in STL Viewer. Two ends became enclosed after uploading [message #92377 is a reply to message #92373 ] Fri, 20 June 2014 09:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Perfect. Thanks for that big Clue. The combination of the loft and thicken is the root cause. The thicken did not follow the base plane and rather did something like an offset from the surface to create the thickness. The direction of the Thicken created the angle thus creating an Open edge.

phew!
Thanks a bunch for that big help.

Regards,
Ronnie
Re: Hollow Tube on in STL Viewer. Two ends became enclosed after uploading [message #92385 is a reply to message #92377 ] Fri, 20 June 2014 10:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Awesome!

Happy to hear you've figured it out :D

Cheers,
Mitchell

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways

Previous Topic:Can I Check Wall Thickness offline using shapeways' tools
Next Topic:Pythagorean Tree Model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.