Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Color lost when fixing thin walls
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Color lost when fixing thin walls [message #91846] Thu, 12 June 2014 23:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar monark  is currently offline monark
Go to all my models
The auto thin wall fixer is great, but why does it wipe off color if it's embedded in the mesh?
It means fixing models for colored sand stone is a non starter.
Re: Color lost when fixing thin walls [message #91899 is a reply to message #91846 ] Fri, 13 June 2014 21:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Assuming I understood the method correctly (...), this is because your original mesh is decomposed into voxels (tiny cubes), from which the mesh is re-generated at the end, so the original vertices (and any color bound to them) are likely to be lost. (Probably considered as an acceptable trade-off by
shapeways, as FCS models are just some fraction of orders, and even among those the typical figurine or architecture models are more likely to have an external texture applied to them)
As the automatic "fixing" of thin walls works by inflating the affected voxels, it will easily lead to a "balloon dog" look of the model, so it is probably better to just take the hint from the preview and do any fixing in your modeling software, unless the wall in question is only a tiny fraction below the limit. (Also note that the thin wall check treats everything as an unsupported wall, so you may end up overcorrecting if you take it too seriously.)
Re: Color lost when fixing thin walls [message #91901 is a reply to message #91899 ] Fri, 13 June 2014 21:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Also note that you can download the "fixed" model and repaint it in e.g. meshlab, which depending on circumstances may still be easier than fixing wall
widths in the original model (if somebody else did the modeling and sent you just the exported wrl, or if the wrl is the result of some kind of simulation where you have no control over thickness of features in the wrl it writes)
Re: Color lost when fixing thin walls [message #92008 is a reply to message #91846 ] Mon, 16 June 2014 14:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
From what I've heard, keeping the texture map is a planned future development.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:File uploads not completing - Results in Blank White Page **Edit** Issues seems to be resolved
Next Topic:Uploads not showing up in "My Models" - wait? re-upload?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.