Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Banner !@#$%^&* -- 06/06=FIXED!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Banner !@#$%^&* -- 06/06=FIXED! [message #90723] Fri, 30 May 2014 04:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bobbiethejean  is currently offline Bobbiethejean
Go to my shop
For some reason, the banner atop my store will randomly revert back to a previous version. I'm getting really tired of having to reupload the new one over and over. I tried deleting cookies and refreshing. I tried hitting the "save changes" button. Nothing works. RAR!

[Updated on: Fri, 06 June 2014 15:56 UTC] by Moderator

Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90724 is a reply to message #90723 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 05:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Nothing works? Hack the servers! They are the problem. ^_^

Serious: don't get angry, it's not on your side. Multiple servers, some holding old data, so it will keep on failing no matter what you do, except as above joke, which would mean debugging & fixing the issue.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90726 is a reply to message #90724 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 06:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Fri, 30 May 2014 05:27

Nothing works? Hack the servers! They are the problem. ^_^

Serious: don't get angry, it's not on your side. Multiple servers, some holding old data, so it will keep on failing no matter what you do, except as above joke, which would mean debugging & fixing the issue.

Lol! I'm not actually angry, just minorly annoyed. XD I'm glad to hear it's not on my end though.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90729 is a reply to message #90726 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 06:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Ohoh :(

Would you be able to help us out and share the URL of the 2 pictures you see as banner?

Correct picture: this link
Wrong picture: this link

This way we can investigate why sometimes 1 banner is shown and sometimes the other (wrong) banner is shown.

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90732 is a reply to message #90729 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 08:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
MitchellJetten wrote on Fri, 30 May 2014 06:56

Ohoh :(

Would you be able to help us out and share the URL of the 2 pictures you see as banner?

Correct picture: this link
Wrong picture: this link

This way we can investigate why sometimes 1 banner is shown and sometimes the other (wrong) banner is shown.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The URL is going to be the same for both, won't it? Or..... not? I'm not sure if this is what you want but......

Correct: https://images1.sw-cdn.net/shop/banner/960x125_8115_14014378 62
Wrong: https://images1.sw-cdn.net/shop/banner/960x125_8115_14014235 68
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90738 is a reply to message #90732 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 09:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Well, you said that you are seeing 2 different pictures, the new one and the old one.
I'm trying to reproduce this but am only seeing the new one.

This made me assume that from time to time a different link is being used.
I'll ask our dev team to look into this.

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90740 is a reply to message #90738 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 09:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Ok I have spotted the difference :)

1. logged in: I see the new picture.
2. logged out: I see the old picture

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90766 is a reply to message #90738 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
MitchellJetten wrote on Fri, 30 May 2014 09:11

Well, you said that you are seeing 2 different pictures, the new one and the old one.
I'm trying to reproduce this but am only seeing the new one.

This made me assume that from time to time a different link is being used.
I'll ask our dev team to look into this.

Thanks. ^_^ I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 64bit, if that's any help at all.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90774 is a reply to message #90766 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 15:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UltimateGeek  is currently offline UltimateGeek
Go to my shop
I'm having the same problem. My banner and avatar keep reverting back to old versions, even though the links I use are the same each time I visit the site (it's a bookmark). Sometimes, like right now, I see my new banner in Firefox when I'm logged in, and the old version in Chrome when I'm logged out. This is after clearing all data and history out of both browsers.

Also, when I upload a new image again, sometimes the change appears in the other browser after a refresh (logged out), and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it actually causes other pictures I have uploaded to revert to old versions.

I'm using Chrome 35 and Firefox 29 on Windows 8.1 Pro.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90808 is a reply to message #90774 ] Fri, 30 May 2014 19:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Bobbiethejean, your banner should be working fine now!

It looks like there is a delay, a few hours later it all appears to be working

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90837 is a reply to message #90808 ] Sat, 31 May 2014 02:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
MitchellJetten wrote on Fri, 30 May 2014 19:24

Bobbiethejean, your banner should be working fine now!

It looks like there is a delay, a few hours later it all appears to be working

Nope. It's still doing the same thing. Here is a play by play:

1.) Reupload new banner.

2.) Go to my store. New banner shows.

3.) Hit refresh. Old banner pops up.

Even if I wait a few hours, the old one will inevitably pop up at random. I mean, I'll try again. But so far, it seems to be doing the same thing as before. Is there something I'm missing?

Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90846 is a reply to message #90837 ] Sat, 31 May 2014 06:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Is this the same problem? If so, you are not alone...
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90865 is a reply to message #90846 ] Sat, 31 May 2014 15:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
AmLachDesigns wrote on Sat, 31 May 2014 06:27

Is this the same problem? If so, you are not alone...

Not quite, I don't think. My banner will upload but then it gets replaced by the older version.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90869 is a reply to message #90723 ] Sat, 31 May 2014 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My banner has reverted to one I posted a few days ago, and has done this two or three times since I posted yesterday. As I write this, the old banner appears in the logged-out state, and the new one is visible when I'm logged in and go to the Settings page. It has probably reverted a dozen times now in total.

I always get the "Your banner has been updated" message, but it doesn't always change the banner. Sometimes it works on the 5th or 6th attempt. I am seeing the problem across various devices (mobile, laptop, desktop), browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox), and operating systems (Windows, Android), even though I've cleared the cache in all cases.

If this is "eventual consistency" or something similar, it's taking a looooong time for things to converge. So long that it looks like a bug.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #90928 is a reply to message #90869 ] Sun, 01 June 2014 11:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Narada_Dan_Vantari  is currently offline Narada_Dan_Vantari
Go to my shop
Hi
I have exactly this problem.
I reported it to support a month ago but nothing has changed.

Here is the old banner http://screencast.com/t/F2xwbjmJNn4M
Unfortunately the new one is not showing now but here is what it should look like
http://screencast.com/t/FKuTTEoqtY
I do not see any pattern to when it appears.
Each time it appears I think - oh good they have fixed it at last - and then it goes again.

I am using FF or Chrome or IE9 on a windows system -
but I have also checked it on a mac and the problem is the same.

If it is servers not updating then there is a serious problem around this.
Over a month and the banner keeps flip flopping randomly between the new and old ones -
this happens both in the banner upload page and in the shopfront.

Please Shapeways - you have some serious problems with your image management systems -
The forum is full of it. - its embarrassingly unprofessional for you and extremely annoying for many of us -
Hire someone who knows enough to fix it !

Sacred Geometry is the study of the fundamental forms of space and time to reveal the secrets of the physical and spiritual worlds. It is a key to good Science, a secret of great Art, and a much needed common ground for the worlds multifarious religions. www.SacredGeometryWeb.com
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91067 is a reply to message #90928 ] Mon, 02 June 2014 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar justiniso  is currently offline justiniso
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey all,

I saw this issue in another thread and posted an update there. I will explain what is happening here as well.

First off, thanks for being so helpful and understanding while we work on this. Each case helps us to debug so by all means, do not stop reporting bugs :)

I want to clarify what is happening here because I know how frustrating it can be to be left in the dark. The problem comes from using a CDN (Content Delivery Network), which is a service most large websites use to host images to speed up the time it takes for each page to load. Working with the service can be... tricky, as there can be a delay between when the image is updated and when the CDN displays that updated image on the website. This is the delay that many of you are seeing and we are actively working to reduce that.

There is another issue that involves seeing a different image when logged in vs. logged out. This is because the CDN is retaining old images based on urls, which differs by https and http when users are logged in or logged out (https means that the data sent from your browser to Shapeways is encrypted, which all logged-in pages are). Note that if you look at the url in your browser when logged in, it will start with https. So when you update your shop banner or logo, we have to tell the CDN that all old images it has are out of date.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues you have been seeing. Our developers are looking into the solution right now and I'm fully confident that they'll get things back on track. Again, thanks for understanding!

-- Justin Iso Quality Engineer for Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91088 is a reply to message #91067 ] Tue, 03 June 2014 01:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Narada_Dan_Vantari  is currently offline Narada_Dan_Vantari
Go to my shop
Okay I didnt think that logged in or out made any dif but I just tested and you are right.
Unfortunately it is when I am logged in that the correct banner displays.
Obviously since its a month since I uploaded it there is some problem.
Thanks - Dan V

Sacred Geometry is the study of the fundamental forms of space and time to reveal the secrets of the physical and spiritual worlds. It is a key to good Science, a secret of great Art, and a much needed common ground for the worlds multifarious religions. www.SacredGeometryWeb.com
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91189 is a reply to message #90723 ] Wed, 04 June 2014 08:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Onyriade  is currently offline Onyriade
Go to my shop
Same issue here.
I tried to update my banner, my logo and my public profile picture and they all randomly change back to the old picture.

My shop

Dimitri, Onyriade design
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91226 is a reply to message #91189 ] Wed, 04 June 2014 17:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Hope this post helps:

justiniso wrote on Mon, 02 June 2014 21:23

Hey all,

First off, thanks for being so helpful and understanding while we work on this. Each case helps us to debug so by all means, do not stop reporting bugs :)

I want to clarify what is happening here because I know how frustrating it can be to be left in the dark. The problem comes from using a CDN (Content Delivery Network), which is a service most large websites use to host images to speed up the time it takes for each page to load. Working with the service can be... tricky, as there can be a delay between when the image is updated and when the CDN displays that updated image on the website. This is the delay that many of you are seeing and we are actively working to reduce that.

There is another issue that involves seeing a different image when logged in vs. logged out. This is because the CDN is retaining old images based on urls, which differs by https and http when users are logged in or logged out (https means that the data sent from your browser to Shapeways is encrypted, which all logged-in pages are). Note that if you look at the url in your browser when logged in, it will start with https. So when you update your shop banner or logo, we have to tell the CDN that all old images it has are out of date.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues you have been seeing. Our developers are looking into the solution right now and I'm fully confident that they'll get things back on track. Again, thanks for understanding!

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91423 is a reply to message #91226 ] Fri, 06 June 2014 13:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

Good news!
Our development team has fixed the issue!

Please do let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Mitch

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91751 is a reply to message #91423 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you very much for working to fix this and keeping us updated on the status of this issue. As a developer, I know how difficult it can be to track down intermittent bugs.

However... I am still having a similar problem. :(

Today I went to to one of my models while NOT logged in: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1859839/hypercube-earrings.ht ml?modelId=1859839&materialId=31 and I noticed that my avatar had reverted back to an old one (at least one week old, maybe two). The new avatar is black with a circle, the old one is green with no circle.

I logged in with a different browser, went to my profile, and saw that my avatar had reverted there, too. I switched the avatar back and so far it looks like it has worked. Both logged in and logged out browsers are showing the change.

This problem has occurred twice since you announced that it was fixed, and probably a dozen times in total.

Sorry to have to report this, and thanks again.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91753 is a reply to message #91751 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 14:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just a quick note -- in the time it took me to post the last reply, my avatar has reverted to the old one again on the logged-in browser (but not the logged out one). And this is where it gets weird...

Updating the new avatar again caused some instances of the avatar to update while logged in, but caused the avatar to revert back when logged out!

Now, no matter what I do, the logged-out one won't update to the new version.

This is really bizarre and inconsistent behavior.
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91754 is a reply to message #91751 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar justiniso  is currently offline justiniso
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey UltimateGeek,

The issue that has been resolved specifically refers to the shop banner and shop logo. The profile avatar has to be addressed separately. If all goes well, we will have a fix going out for profile avatars today. Sorry for the confusion.

-- Justin Iso Quality Engineer for Shapeways
Re: Banner !@#$%^&* [message #91757 is a reply to message #91754 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 15:09 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
No problem, and thanks for the update.

Previous Topic:I just can't upload a model
Next Topic:The shop inventory screen is not working

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.