Home » Support » 3D Design » Trouble with Normals in Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Trouble with Normals in Blender [message #9060] Mon, 18 January 2010 06:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar averymonsen  is currently offline averymonsen
Go to all my models
Hey there.

So I've recalculated the normals, and Blender says they're all facing out, but Shapeways disagrees and won't let me upload it. I'm new to all this, so it's totally possible I'm just missing something simple.

I'm attaching the .blend and .stl files for you to look at, if you're interested.

Any help would be much appreciated, y'all. Thanks!

-Avery

Re: Trouble with Normals in Blender [message #9061 is a reply to message #9060 ] Mon, 18 January 2010 09:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mainstream256  is currently offline Mainstream256
Go to all my models
Hi there,

you have inverted Normals on the legs off your figure. Simply go to edit mode and hit A (select all) and CTRL+N(recalculate Normals).

This should fix it ...

[Updated on: Mon, 18 January 2010 09:20 UTC]

Re: Trouble with Normals in Blender [message #9102 is a reply to message #9061 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 17:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EricFinley  is currently offline EricFinley
Go to my shop
Also, sometimes with some very weird nonmanifold meshes you can get a situation where Blender cannot figure out which way to point the normals so that they are simultaneously "outward" and "coherent." My recommendation is always to make sure you're fully manifold before laying a finger on normals issues.
Re: Trouble with Normals in Blender [message #9106 is a reply to message #9060 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 21:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
My experience is that Blender sometimes gets the normals wrong even when the mesh is manifold - and I don't think Shapeways tells you about problems with the normals until the mesh has passed the manifold test.
Re: Trouble with Normals in Blender [message #9107 is a reply to message #9060 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 22:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
Hi, I opened the STL file in MeshLab (where you can see easily the faces with inverted normals on the back legs), and used the "Re-orient all faces coherently" option on the "Normals..." submenu of the "Filters" menu, and this seems to have fixed the problem. This solution isn't guaranteed either, but it often succeeds where Blender has failed.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 January 2010 22:24 UTC]

Re: Trouble with Normals in Blender [message #9109 is a reply to message #9107 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 23:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar averymonsen  is currently offline averymonsen
Go to all my models
Awesome. Thanks, everybody.

Previous Topic:Non-manifold
Next Topic:color printing multiple maps

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.