Home » Support » Buying » Weird volume or billing cavities
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weird volume or billing cavities [message #8952] Thu, 14 January 2010 03:12 UTC
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
I want to know if enclosed cavities are billed or they must have a hole, because I think I read somewhere that trapped material wasn't billed. Yes, the cavities have normals pointing in (and outer shells point out). Even billing those handful of cm3, the price vs rought "bounding box" seems to be off (the BB is just 16 cents more, but I think there are a bit more "air" outside the model). So no idea what is going on, please help.

A line saying "your model is X cm3" would be a nice addition to owner page data, as well as more units while uploading (cm at least) and select/override for all formats (.wrl, meter as fixed default... waste of precission... and re-upload).

(Edit:)

OK, I figured what it was, it seems Blender3D is a bit special when saving .wrl with textures. Importing back showed vertices without faces for untextured polygons (the inner shells). Yep, the original file had all faces but the result of loading the .wrl had some floating points in air. New day, new different bugs.

The suggestion about volume info still holds, it could even report mesh stats like number of vertices and faces (triangles only? quads?), so you can verify your data reached Shapeways without weird loses.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 January 2010 18:05 UTC]

Previous Topic:Pricing error on Full Color material page
Next Topic:Shapeways Holday Hours