Home » Support » 3D Printing » Printing and Shrinkage
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing and Shrinkage [message #89201] Tue, 06 May 2014 05:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar rchan  is currently offline rchan
Go to all my models
I have a project that I am working on, essentially a capsule of sorts printed in BFS with a stainless steel shell on it. Is there any way for someone to verify for me that my inner component will nest inside the larger part? I have made these parts public under my profile:
Ring Holder Metal Shell V3 and Ring Holder Metal Shell Insert Side A V3. I will hopefully unveil this if my first one comes out properly. The dimensions of the inserts are as follows: 2.75"x 2.00"x0.475". This was supposed to nest inside the metal shell of the exact dimensions, but I have read that stainless steel prints would shrink in printing by 1-2% or a mm or so. I am planning to epoxy the inner portion printed in black strong and flexible to the stainless shell, but I am worried that I may have to finagle this and sand my inner. Would an internal dimension of the metal shell along the lines of 2.79"x2.04"x.479" sound reasonable? Especially with the shell costing me 100 clams a piece, for a project that calls for two parts, I'd hate to find out i'm wrong...
Re: Printing and Shrinkage [message #89210 is a reply to message #89201 ] Tue, 06 May 2014 12:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Stainless is also susceptible to gravity in production as well. The safest method would be to order the stainless part, then to design the Black strong and flexible piece to fit inside the actual dimensions.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Detail on small Steel models
Next Topic:Model with engraved letters already printed, now can't be printed...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.