Home » Community » Work in progress » Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88957] Thu, 01 May 2014 22:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar JoyComplex  is currently offline JoyComplex
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
So I've been working on making these spinning pinwheel earrings for about a month. My first iteration had a spindle mechanism that was too thin so it would break during polishing. I remodeled to make the spinning mechanism stronger. I made sure the clearances were above the minimums and printed again.

index.php?t=getfile&id=58527&private=0

This time they survived but the whole mechanism is fused. I tried to see how far it would spin part of it snapped off. I am definitely at or above the minimums and have more than enough escape holes.

index.php?t=getfile&id=58529&private=0

Any suggestions? I'm beginning to get frustrated . . . but third time as they say.

http://www.facebook.com/JoyComplex
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88958 is a reply to message #88957 ] Thu, 01 May 2014 22:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar najo98  is currently offline najo98
Go to my shop
maybe try scaling it a little larger? would that work
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88961 is a reply to message #88958 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 01:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I Think I'll have to try that. I juts don't want them to get too unwieldy. I have my heart set on having these things spin on people's ears!

Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88965 is a reply to message #88961 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 02:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar najo98  is currently offline najo98
Go to my shop
hope it works, and that is a really cool idea.
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88981 is a reply to message #88965 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 11:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Could be that any powder they could not get out of the case is caked together by the dye solution. Have you tried plain white polished for a
paint-it-yourself solution?
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88986 is a reply to message #88981 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 12:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Yeah, I got all available colors (except for black) and white is the same as the rest. Maybe I'll just have to redesign the spinning mechanism.

Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88995 is a reply to message #88957 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 14:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It looks like you got a lot of material trapped between the two cylinders (looking at the unbroken purple spindle) Maybe adding a little more gap there? What is the current gap?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #88997 is a reply to message #88995 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Half a mm all around. I think I'll just double all the distances to make sure there's enough room. I just want to make sure the spindle doesn't snap off during polishing.

Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89000 is a reply to message #88957 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Have you contacted service? Anything that meets the guidelines should be clear, and anything that doesn't should be rejected.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89005 is a reply to message #89000 ] Fri, 02 May 2014 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
No I haven't. I will now though!

Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89123 is a reply to message #89005 ] Mon, 05 May 2014 06:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
Looks like print error to me too. To much material trapped there.

numarul7 jewelry and design
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89320 is a reply to message #89123 ] Thu, 08 May 2014 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Is the white area loose power?

Paul
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89321 is a reply to message #89320 ] Thu, 08 May 2014 15:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
No. That's where I accidentally snapped off part of the mechanism. There is a tiny bit of lose powder in some of the 4 escape holes.

Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89328 is a reply to message #89321 ] Thu, 08 May 2014 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The white area is not powder packed in then?
Grab a pin or screwdriver & have a poke about.

If it is still solid, then this suggests to me that the model is solid and something is awry with the model - in the model image, what is the clearance between the disc visable through the holes and the inner of the wall?

Paul
Re: Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice? [message #89348 is a reply to message #89328 ] Thu, 08 May 2014 19:27 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I already poked around where there should be moveable parts when they initially came in. The clearances are all .5mm or greater for all openings. What's weird is that the old model (which had a smaller mechanism) at least printed the inside portion properly, but when I scaled the mechanism up (all parts but the pinwheel portion) so that the spindle and outside portion would survive polishing the pinwheels came back fused!

I'm going to redesign the earrings so that the clearances are at least 1.2mm. If I don't get pinwheels that spin with that, then I'm stumped.

Previous Topic:Hi i need help
Next Topic:My Skull Series

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.