Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Non-manifold/Inverted normals check program for Mac
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Non-manifold/Inverted normals check program for Mac [message #8358] Wed, 16 December 2009 22:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar dblejeune  is currently offline dblejeune
Go to all my models
Hey guys, I'm just getting started in this whole thing, so of course I've gotten the dreaded non-manifold errors. However, Shapeways' online visualizer isn't displaying my model. I'm using Cinema 4D on my Mac to create my models, and wasn't able to find anything in the help about error checking models, so I'm wondering if there is any small stand alone progam to do this on OSX. If there is nothing of the sort I suppose I'll just go ahead and get Blender.
Also, does anyone know of a good resource on non-manifold and inverted normals, what causes them, how to fix/avoid them, etc. I've been searching the web and other than what's here, I haven't found anything very comprehensive. I really just want to get a better overall understanding of what's going on. Thanks!
Re: Non-manifold/Inverted normals check program for Mac [message #8380 is a reply to message #8358 ] Thu, 17 December 2009 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
There's 'topscope . Works well but it's 95 quid

Bill Bedford
Re: Non-manifold/Inverted normals check program for Mac [message #8690 is a reply to message #8358 ] Sun, 03 January 2010 01:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop
dblejeune wrote on Wed, 16 December 2009 22:54

Hey guys, I'm just getting started in this whole thing, so of course I've gotten the dreaded non-manifold errors. However, Shapeways' online visualizer isn't displaying my model. I'm using Cinema 4D on my Mac to create my models, and wasn't able to find anything in the help about error checking models, so I'm wondering if there is any small stand alone progam to do this on OSX. If there is nothing of the sort I suppose I'll just go ahead and get Blender.
Also, does anyone know of a good resource on non-manifold and inverted normals, what causes them, how to fix/avoid them, etc. I've been searching the web and other than what's here, I haven't found anything very comprehensive. I really just want to get a better overall understanding of what's going on. Thanks!

Meshlab has a version for Mac OS, though I find Blender easier to use. Also, if you have VMWare, there is a free version of the Magics STL viewer which catches most errors.

As for the causes, I've found that doing booleans on a mesh will often cause it to become non-manifold, and extrusions often cause normal problems.

Previous Topic:just another...manifold problem
Next Topic:Human figure modeling

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.