Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Stiffness: WSF vs. ABS vs. Acrylic glass?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stiffness: WSF vs. ABS vs. Acrylic glass? [message #86244] Sat, 15 March 2014 13:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
Suppose I have a 5 mm strong plate of say 200×200 mm footprint. Which of the following materials would make it stiffest?

• WSF: Shapeways' White Strong & Flexible (Nylon)
  • ABS: 3D printed (FDM) on a Stratasys machine
  • Acrylic glass: laser cut
My assumption: Acrylic glass (stiffest) > ABS > WSF (softest)
Re: Stiffness: WSF vs. ABS vs. Acrylic glass? [message #86570 is a reply to message #86244 ] Sat, 22 March 2014 15:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
On plastruct.com, I found an article about properties of ABS, acrylic, and various other plastics.

They write: "Acrylic is the most rigid and brittle of these plastics."

For comparison of ABS and WSF, I have ordered a set of FDM printed ABS parts from fabberhouse in Germany. The nice thing is that they print in solid black and other colors.
Re: Stiffness: WSF vs. ABS vs. Acrylic glass? [message #87197 is a reply to message #86570 ] Thu, 03 April 2014 09:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
feklee wrote on Sat, 22 March 2014 15:39

For comparison of ABS and WSF, I have ordered a set of FDM printed ABS parts from fabberhouse in Germany.

Yesterday, I received my order. It's hard to tell from the parts, which are quite small, but ABS seems to be more rigid than WSF. At the same time ABS is certainly more brittle: When I bend a thin part it breaks quickly. WSF, on the other hand, can sustain quite a lot of torture before it breaks.

Still, FDM printed ABS is a great material, and I consider using it for a mechanical design.

Previous Topic:How thick is the gold plating?
Next Topic:tracking parts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.