Home » Support » 3D Printing » Layers
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Layers [message #86049] Mon, 10 March 2014 21:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar duram  is currently offline duram
Go to all my models
I know 3D is printed with a sum of layers, my questions are:

What is the thickness of each layer?
If a layer is less than 0,7mm how is possible not to print thin walls in the layer plane/direction?

Re: Layers [message #86051 is a reply to message #86049 ] Mon, 10 March 2014 21:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, the layers are thinner than 0.7mm I don't know exactly what the layer thickness is, but let us assume that it's at 0.1mm

Based on a LOT of experience, they found that fewer than 7 layers (7 x 0.1mm = 0.7mm) tends to break too easily - even while still inside of the printer.

Think of your standard ink-jet printer. As the head moves left and right, there is a small bit of friction, and the paper tends to shift under it.

If you print a super-thin peice inside of a 3d printer, it would have the same general action... friction against the print head would allow it to go "surfing" within the printer - causing the piece to shift out of position, and possibly even cause the print head to "bump" as it prints the next layer.. that can cause a distortion across the whole batch.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Layers [message #86129 is a reply to message #86051 ] Wed, 12 March 2014 13:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Mon, 10 March 2014 21:47

Based on a LOT of experience, they found that fewer than 7 layers (7 x 0.1mm = 0.7mm) tends to break too easily

I understand this argument. You also need to take out the model, clean it, and ship it, and in every step of the process it may break.

Quote:

even while still inside of the printer.

Here my understanding ends. After all, every model will be very thin temporarily during printing.

Quote:

friction against the print head

What friction? I would be surprised if the SLS print head gets in contact with the model. Well, that thing distributing powder, of course, causes friction.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2014 14:15 UTC]

Previous Topic:Rapid?
Next Topic:Health hazards from WSF dust ?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.