Home » Support » 3D Printing » Minimum angle on a flat surface for PWSF for print lines to not show?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Minimum angle on a flat surface for PWSF for print lines to not show? [message #84182] Fri, 31 January 2014 23:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
Hello,
If I have a flat surface that is angled in relation to the XY plane, what is the minimum angle before the print lines start to show on PWSF and WSF?

Maybe 25, 30, 35 degrees?

Anybody know of a software or plugin that can show you a preview of where the print lines end up on your model?

Thanks
Re: Minimum angle on a flat surface for PWSF for print lines to not show? [message #84185 is a reply to message #84182 ] Sat, 01 February 2014 02:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It all depends upon at what point do you feel that the print lines are noticeable.

The trouble is that if you have ANY surface tilt, then there will be print lines.

There is a difference between (necessary) print lines due to the layering of the process, versus print lines due to 'jitter' in the print head as it moves from one layer to the next.

In the image below, you can see that there will be "print lines" due to stepping even on a surface as flat as 0.2 degrees, but on the vertical wall, you will get some "print lines" due to the print head not returning to exactly the same spot each time. They're caused by two different situations.

Note: all of the print lines should be significantly less visible on the Polished materials.

As far as a plugin to show you what to expect, I'm not aware of such, but it would also depend upon which drawing program you're using. The other issue at hand is the dreaded "print orientation" topic - at this time, you're not guaranteed any particular orientation, which means what you see as "flat" may have all of a sudden become 90 degrees. One thing you might do is see what the "slicer" option of Netfabb Basic will show you.
index.php?t=getfile&id=50937&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 01 February 2014 02:16 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Minimum angle on a flat surface for PWSF for print lines to not show? [message #85867 is a reply to message #84182 ] Thu, 06 March 2014 05:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WilsonSmith  is currently offline WilsonSmith
Go to all my models
The problem is that if any surface is tilt, then there will be print lines.
Re: Minimum angle on a flat surface for PWSF for print lines to not show? [message #85868 is a reply to message #85867 ] Thu, 06 March 2014 07:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Also, depending on the geometry of your model, SW will rotate it in the print volume to create the smallest possible Bounding Box, and this may cause stepping or print lines even when you might not expect it.
Re: Minimum angle on a flat surface for PWSF for print lines to not show? [message #85869 is a reply to message #85868 ] Thu, 06 March 2014 09:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
I will be using other printing services which allow the selection of the part orientation.

I did a few tests. It really varies depending on how much time they leave the parts for polishing.
But what I saw was anything above 30 degrees from the x-y plane gives a much better surface. Above 45 and it starts to become barely visible.

Previous Topic:Is the color in the full color sandstone consistent over prints?
Next Topic:A few questions about scaling

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.