Home »  » 3D Printing » Elasto-Plastic Flexibility
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Elasto-Plastic Flexibility [message #85655] Sat, 01 March 2014 19:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar NathanielCustom  is currently offline NathanielCustom
Go to my shop
I've seen a few anecdotal numbers thrown around for when it comes to describing the flexibility of the Elasto-Plastic, but what can I expect from it? To throw around a few terms haphazardly we've got "tear strength", "elongation at break", and "tensile strength". Specific numbers in these categories may be overkill for me, others may find them more informative.

Specific to my needs right now, what can I expect from a hollow headband printed with 1.5mm walls? Does the Elasto-Plastic have the elastic memory to be able to return to its original form and is that memory "strong" enough to produce a "sufficient" clamping force on a person's head? (Sorry, I have no tools to determine what my minimum force (Newtons) / square unit would be needed. I suppose I will have to come up with some in house testing some day)

Nathaniel Custom
Blog ~ NCustom.blogspot.com
Facebook ~ http://www.facebook.com/NathanielCustom
Re: Elasto-Plastic Flexibility [message #85658 is a reply to message #85655 ] Sat, 01 March 2014 22:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
The stuff is a lot stiffer than the name seems to imply. In my mind it doesn't scream headband appropriate although with some strategic cuts (sort of like a living hinge) it would have more give.
Re: Elasto-Plastic Flexibility [message #85660 is a reply to message #85658 ] Sat, 01 March 2014 23:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar NathanielCustom  is currently offline NathanielCustom
Go to my shop
Being stiffer is more appropriate in my application. Being a prototype, it is easier to make some cuts in the printed model to introduce some flex than to add material to make it more rigid.

Nathaniel Custom
Blog ~ NCustom.blogspot.com
Facebook ~ http://www.facebook.com/NathanielCustom

Previous Topic:Help! I got Thin Walls!
Next Topic:Polyjet printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.