Home » Support » 3D Applications » Inventor
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Inventor [message #79870] Tue, 26 November 2013 15:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar Arcathorn  is currently offline Arcathorn
Go to all my models
If anybody uses inventor out there for doing 3D models I have a question.

Before I create an STL out of an IAM should I save the assembly as a shrinkwrapped part or even a derived part?

I have run into an issue where sometimes surfaces I used to create a solid are showing up as part of the STL when shapeways goes to create it. Has anyone else run into this?

"Do or do not there is no try"-Yoda
Re: Inventor [message #79884 is a reply to message #79870 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
I use Inventor exclusively for Shapeways modelling. I've had no problems exporting from either part or assembly files. Mind you, I don't use surfaces in my modelling directly and therefore can't specifically illuminate your problem.

Have you compared exports from assemblies, shrinkwraps and derived parts?

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Inventor [message #79885 is a reply to message #79884 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
No I haven't tried that yet. I did do a shrinkwrap once and it came out just fine. This time though I got an alert saying that the model had an error showing a 0.00mm thickness surface in a spot where it should be hollow. I have not had the chance to open the model up and look at it but the only thing I can surmise is that a surface is active somewhere in the IAM and it translated when it was changed to an STL. Beyond that I can't imagine what it is.

This is the first time I have run into something like this so I wanted to see if anyone else had.

Re: Inventor [message #79900 is a reply to message #79870 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 18:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It sounds like you have a remnant surface from your hollowing process. I know in the software I use, inverted normals aren't visible from the outside. Try opening in Netfabb and seeing if you can heal the part, removing the potential inverted surface.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Inventor [message #79904 is a reply to message #79900 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok. I will try that when I get home.

Re: Inventor [message #85412 is a reply to message #79870 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 12:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar IncredibleMiniatures  is currently offline IncredibleMiniatures
Go to my shop
Arcathorn wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 15:02

If anybody uses inventor out there for doing 3D models I have a question.

Before I create an STL out of an IAM should I save the assembly as a shrinkwrapped part or even a derived part?

I have run into an issue where sometimes surfaces I used to create a solid are showing up as part of the STL when shapeways goes to create it. Has anyone else run into this?

I use Inventor for some designs, and I occasionally face problems with exported STLs. Some of the scenarios where issues crop up (not always, but often) are:

- Assembly made of parts with different materials (Select solid / properties) - Sometimes
- Assemblies or parts where different surface materials are applied (Select surface / properties) - Almost always
- Parts which have been formed by extruding or sweeping spline faces, or have overly complex edges with fillet - Often
- Assemblies with parts not dependent on faces of grounded part, or sometimes not sufficiently constrained, e.g. spheres floating in a cage - Often

As a general workflow, I have standardized on always creating a derived part before exporting to CAD format.
- Derive style = single solid body
- "Remove geometry by visibility" checked
- "Reduced memory mode" checked
- "Remove all internal voids" checked. If one actually wants an internal void, one should be leaving a hole anyway for the ShapeWays support material to drain, barring some odd situations, so those would no longer be internal voids.

By doing this, I rarely if ever get a warning indicator when opening the STL in netfabb.

In netfabb, after the repair stage, I always use Part / Export to export the STL, even if there is no repair needed. This catches some odd issues with unmatched edges, from time to time, which you can tell netfabb to fix during export.

The resultant final STL has never failed for me on ShapeWays, no matter how messy the original assembly or part.

Re: Inventor [message #85415 is a reply to message #85412 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 13:05 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks...I have started using the derived part option as well but that workflow is a great idea.

Previous Topic:Problems with wall thickness, or getting through the checks
Next Topic:Boolean ops on la large mesh

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.