Home » Support » 3D Printing » square edges with ceramics?!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
square edges with ceramics?! [message #84528] Fri, 07 February 2014 19:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar marigagcas  is currently offline marigagcas
Go to all my models
Hi,
I am having issues in filleting the edges of my model. The edges of the solid show curves that go in opposite directions, therefore the software can't seem to be able to do the filleting properly (Rhino 5)... anyways. I want to print my design in ceramics, which is why I am stuggling so hard with the filleting. Has anyone even tried ceramic sintering without filleting the edges? Did the model crack? I am thinking of sending it just like this, but I am kind of scared... I have no super sharp points per se but the edges are square.

Thanks for the help!
Re: square edges with ceramics?! [message #84728 is a reply to message #84528 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 08:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
I don't think cracking is the problem, but the glaze won't stick to sharp ridges.

Example: https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1050-3d-printed-cera mics-is-back.html (first picture)

With white glaze it's not that obvious but with a coloured glaze you would see lighter/white ridges.

If you just want to print it for yourself, you might post the file and someone can help you with it. Of course if you want to sell it this might not be a good idea...

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2014 08:44 UTC]

Re: square edges with ceramics?! [message #85194 is a reply to message #84728 ] Fri, 21 February 2014 08:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
don't mention it ;)

Previous Topic:White Strong & Flexible thicker than designed?
Next Topic:Overglazing 3D printed Ceramics

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.