Home » Support » Suggestions » making the rejection procedure better
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
making the rejection procedure better [message #83363] Fri, 17 January 2014 13:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar artori  is currently offline artori
Go to all my models
Hi,

on my last order i got a rejection after a few days. i amended the files immediately after receiving the email but costumer support told me that these parts cannot be shipped in the same order and that i have to re-order them (they also credited me with free shipping) afterwards i re-ordered the parts and a few days later one of the parts got rejected again, over the most minor detail. I tried to tell the costumer support to go ahead with the print and i will take full responsibility for any issues (we were starting to get close to dead line by now!) they agreed that the print *can* be done, but again - once a part is rejected there is no way to get it back in the order. therefor one of our models wont be ready for the deadline even tough we made the first order almost two months in advance..

to prevent this frustrating situation from repeating itself i suggest the following:

1. add another step before rejection – something like "pending rejection" where you will notify the costumer of the error in the design and he will get a period of time (24-48Hours?) to update the model. if the costumer fails to respond in that period of time then the part will be rejected as usual.

2. adding a "notes and comments" field next to the parts when you order might prove useful..

3. this is a bit experimental - maybe you should consider adding a "force production" check-box - for people who are willing to take the chance and print regardless of material guidelines (and obviously taking full responsibility for it)

I hope this will help

Thanks and good luck

Hagai
Re: making the rejection procedure better [message #83404 is a reply to message #83363 ] Fri, 17 January 2014 20:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
All of those suggestions have been discussed in this thread.
Shapeways has as one of their top priorities for 2014 to see if they can improve the whole process.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: making the rejection procedure better [message #85085 is a reply to message #83363 ] Wed, 19 February 2014 15:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar railNscale  is currently offline railNscale
Go to my shop
Hello,

There is a lot of talking about imnproving the rejection procedure by SW.

Unfortunately we do not notice any improvement in this area. The vast majority of rejections proved to be false. It seems that the only way to get around is that each single model should be printed individually by us (including models that are just multiples of the original model) because SW proofs to be so kind to 'find new problems'. This makes the selling of models a pretty expensive and rather unactrative hobby.

We don't do that. We print each model once. Combinations of identical successfully printed models should be printable. And they are...

But sometimes a person at SW has a bad mood or something and we receive a rejection. Often this rejection is false, and in all cases other models with the exact same geometry proved to be printable anyways. Standard procedure is that we have to take a lot of effort to make SW printing the models after all. It is extremely not efficient, and in the end (sometiomes after a struggle of months) our client receives (at no extra cost) the model.

Now this is what SW calls service....

Regards,
Maurice
RAILNSCALE

[Updated on: Wed, 19 February 2014 15:50 UTC]

rail N scale 'Een verrijking voor uw miniatuurwereld' railNscale.wordpress.com
Re: making the rejection procedure better [message #85113 is a reply to message #85085 ] Wed, 19 February 2014 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 3rdboxcar  is currently offline 3rdboxcar
Go to my shop
Hi all

I tend to agree with Maurice, near identical models being rejected when the parts that they are being rejected for were printed successfully many times before.

How about this for a suggestion - when you upload a newer version of your model [which has previously been printed successfully before] there is provision for a text box beside the vX: so you can document the changes for the Shapeways people that are doing the checking, this may also help rejection rates.

Alexander. N Scale American modeller. Please visit my shop Boxcar Models.
Re: making the rejection procedure better [message #85125 is a reply to message #85113 ] Thu, 20 February 2014 06:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar railNscale  is currently offline railNscale
Go to my shop
Hello,

It is even worse. Just after thwe order was placed I sent an e-mail to the service people to take care of stuff.

And of course I've send my commends to SW-team. And.. I am awaiting their response....

Regards,
Maurice
RAILNSCALE

rail N scale 'Een verrijking voor uw miniatuurwereld' railNscale.wordpress.com
Re: making the rejection procedure better [message #85148 is a reply to message #85085 ] Thu, 20 February 2014 16:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
railNscale wrote on Wed, 19 February 2014 15:49

Hello,

There is a lot of talking about imnproving the rejection procedure by SW.

Unfortunately we do not notice any improvement in this area. The vast majority of rejections proved to be false. It seems that the only way to get around is that each single model should be printed individually by us (including models that are just multiples of the original model) because SW proofs to be so kind to 'find new problems'. This makes the selling of models a pretty expensive and rather unactrative hobby.

We have made several improvements recently in rejections.
1) Wall thickness visualizer
2) Our Feb. 12th update had several internal improvements that help now, and build to help even more in the near future.
3) More improvements are being released every week

Quote:

We don't do that. We print each model once. Combinations of identical successfully printed models should be printable. And they are...

It is impossible for us to prove that an item in a file is the same as an item previously printed in another file. We are much better now at catching issues that we were missing in the past. And we are making tools to show you these problem areas before you order.

Quote:

But sometimes a person at SW has a bad mood or something and we receive a rejection. Often this rejection is false, and in all cases other models with the exact same geometry proved to be printable anyways. Standard procedure is that we have to take a lot of effort to make SW printing the models after all. It is extremely not efficient, and in the end (sometiomes after a struggle of months) our client receives (at no extra cost) the model.

Now this is what SW calls service....

Regards,
Maurice
RAILNSCALE

Mood has nothing to do with a rejection. Because something has printed successfully once, does not mean that it will print successfully every time. I understand doing scale models you want precise and high detail. But when you are designing at the minimum of what the printers can reliably produce, you will run into issues. And as I mentioned, we are working hard at streamlining the visualization of potential issues so designers can be made aware of them at upload.

I'm locking this thread. If you have constructive conversation to add, please do so on the rejections thread.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Spam on the Blog
Next Topic:Orientation

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.