Home » Support » 3D Design » Wall Thickness Issues (3ds Max)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wall Thickness Issues (3ds Max) [message #84955] Sun, 16 February 2014 11:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar lnewm11  is currently offline lnewm11
Go to my shop
Sorry to bother you all, but I seem to be a bit stumped here.

I have tried using netfab which unfortunately removed more geometry than I am willing to sacrifice. I know I have much to learn about 3d modelling, but if someone could help me here. I would greatly appreciate it.

I use 3ds max to model. My wall thickness is the issue....seems to be only where the wires conjoin.

Thanks so much for any help.

Re: Wall Thickness Issues (3ds Max) [message #84957 is a reply to message #84955 ] Sun, 16 February 2014 12:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't know that I can help you directly, but maybe with more info someone can give you the input you need.

When you say that Netfabb is removing geometry, do yo know why this is? Are your normals all correct? Are parts that should be joined or overlapping correctly set up? What does the model look like before or after 'fixing'.

How do you know that wall thickness is a problem - via the Shapeways tool? What material are you interested in? Is the uploaded model in Shapeways ok or not?

Can you share a file (.stl or .obj etc)?
Re: Wall Thickness Issues (3ds Max) [message #84959 is a reply to message #84955 ] Sun, 16 February 2014 13:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Most probably you have overlapping faces everywhere the wires join, and the triangle mesh that is exported is too coarse to allow netfabb to fix it without damage. Check if there are any functions in 3dsmax to remove overlapping faces, merge/union parts together etc. (Try looking on youtube or similar sites
for tutorial videos)
Re: Wall Thickness Issues (3ds Max) [message #84978 is a reply to message #84955 ] Sun, 16 February 2014 22:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lnewm11  is currently offline lnewm11
Go to my shop
Thanks for your responses. So I managed to move all the faces that have problems when my model is flat. However obviously then it has no volume. Once I add the shell modifier, it reintroduces the problem.

Does anybody know a way to increase wall thickness without overlapping?

I tried Meshlab but it crashed.

Thanks again :)

Previous Topic:Supported Wires Shape and Size
Next Topic:Designing Prongs for Jewelry

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.