Home » Support » 3D Printing » White Strong & Flexible thicker than designed?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
White Strong & Flexible thicker than designed? [message #84961] Sun, 16 February 2014 13:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
Some days ago, I received the Basic Kit of samples, which includes White Strong & Flexible, together with a card of measurements.

Now, I took a precision caliper, and checked the sample. In one direction, probably z-direction, the material is 0.10-0.15 mm thicker than designed:

• Thinnest part: 1.1 mm by design, 1.3 mm actually
  • Thickest part: 3 mm by design, 3.3 mm actually

Width, on the other hand is like designed: 10 mm. Length is not specified on the card.

Is this to be expected? For getting a precision print-out should I shave 0.1 mm off top and bottom surfaces? If so, how do I know how my model is oriented during printing?

index.php?t=getfile&id=52121&private=0

• Attachment: thickest.jpg
    (Size: 254.04KB, Downloaded 77 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 16 February 2014 14:00 UTC]

Re: White Strong & Flexible thicker than designed? [message #84962 is a reply to message #84961 ] Sun, 16 February 2014 14:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Accuracy is stated on the respective Materials pages (though it was much easier to spot before the recent redesign...). For strong&flexible, it is +/- 0.15 mm plus another +/- 0.15 percent of longest dimension. Model orientation is essentially unknown (except for certain classes of models where they know from experience that a specific orientation is absolutely required to minimize artifacts, e.g. visible stairstepping on model airplane wings).
So if you actually require high precision, either choose a material with smaller tolerances or design the parts to be sanded down to a perfect fit.
Re: White Strong & Flexible thicker than designed? [message #84964 is a reply to message #84962 ] Sun, 16 February 2014 14:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
Thanks!

Previous Topic:PTFE
Next Topic:square edges with ceramics?!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.