Home »  » 3D Printing » One-piece plastic hinge (Strong & Flexible)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
One-piece plastic hinge (Strong & Flexible) [message #84786] Wed, 12 February 2014 14:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
Quote from the description of "Strong & Flexible": "When thin, it's flexible enough for hinges and springs."

By hinge, I assume a bendable plastic piece is meant. For a use case, see the attached image (source: pixabay, public domain).

Is there any example for such a hinge printed in "Strong & Flexible"? How thick should the plastic be so that it can bend, etc.?

index.php?t=getfile&id=51809&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 12 February 2014 14:52 UTC]

Re: One-piece plastic hinge (Strong & Flexible) [message #84909 is a reply to message #84786 ] Fri, 14 February 2014 15:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mfoster3  is currently offline mfoster3
Go to all my models
Well as a minimum you could go with the minimum wall thickness for Thin and Flexible which is .7 mm. The width of the hinge segment would probably also be important as well as the transition from thin to thick so that the strain is distributed in a way that reduces fatigue failure.

Protomold has a design tip here.

Their example is intended for polypropylene but it gives you a place to start.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2014 15:24 UTC]

a voxel is a three dimensional pixel
Re: One-piece plastic hinge (Strong & Flexible) [message #84910 is a reply to message #84909 ] Fri, 14 February 2014 15:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
@mfoster3, thanks for the pointer to the Protomold article! It provides the technical term: Living hinge

Today I received the Material Sample Kit, and this gives a good impression concerning what is doable, especially since "Strong & Flexible" is also the material for the holder of the samples.

By the way, I don't want to design something as extreme as the pictured lunch box. My hinge would just need to be bendable by 22.5° in each direction, to allow a total movement of 45°.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2014 15:39 UTC]

Previous Topic:Which model orient is better for printer?
Next Topic:PTFE

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.